Westvleteren 12 blunder: Pitch more? Too hot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

failbeams

Reaction score
So I attempted a variation of the Westvleteren 12 style quad previously posted here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=147815
(see below)

At 6 hours I had no activity. The next morning (approximately 15 hours since pitch) I had to switch to a blow off tube at the carboy was at 83 degrees. It was stored indoors at about 70 degrees, so I figured it wouldn't get too much warmer. WRONG. After work (about 24 hours since pitch) the carboy was at 91 degrees. I cooled it down to 78 with a water bath and it's been holding at about 76 for the last 12 hours.

So the question is, what condition are my yeast in now? It did not look like I lost a huge amount from the blow off tube, but I definitely lost some. To get down to my desired FG of 1.012 (from OG of 1.090) should I repitch? In retrospect I should have probably dosed the yeast over a few days and used some fermcap. I have a # of D-180 dark syrup that I'm tempted to use to grow up some more yeast or adding it directly to the primary at about a week. Thoughts?

My other concern is the temp. I'm guessing it was 90+ for about 10 hours. Is that enough to kill off Abbey yeast? Or am I just going to taste Everclear in my quad? I'm hoping that will mellow out over time....

Let me know what you guys think!

Recipe:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP530
Yeast Starter: 3.8L stirplate
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.090
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 35
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 33
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 5 @ 83
Additional Fermentation: 60 @ 50
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 2 @ 65
Tasting Notes: see thread

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.54 gal
Estimated OG: 1.090 SG
Estimated Color: 26.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 38.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
13.50 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 74.71 %
1.00 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 5.53 %
0.50 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 2.77 %
0.33 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 1.83 %
0.25 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 1.38 %
0.19 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.05 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (90 min) Hops 24.7 IBU
1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [2.40 %] (30 min)Hops 5.0 IBU
1.00 oz Styrian Goldings [4.10 %] (30 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
1.00 item Servomyces (10 min)
1.50 lb Dark Belgian Candi Syrup (80.0 SRM) Sugar 8.30 %
0.75 lb Amber Belgian Candi Syrup (40.0 SRM) Sugar 4.43 %
1 Pkgs Abbey Ale (White Labs #WLP530) Yeast-Ale

On brew day I took the first 3/4 gallons of the first run and boiled that down to syrup, then added it back to the boil. I aerated by shaking pitched a 2 L starter of WLP530 when it got down to about 78 degrees. Starter was made with 2 cans of Fast Pitch from northern brewer and required water.

I've made this a few times. The temperatures are pretty critical. It will definitely change your end product. You really need temperature control to do this beer right.

The good news is that this beer likes it warm, so hopefully you didn't do too much damage. Belgian yeast also do their best when they're a little stressed.

I'd worry about fusels though.

I am afraid that at those temps that early into fermentation that you will have fusels. That yeast can take some heat after intitial fermentation to help it finish, but that much heat early is not good.

It is best to start at the lower end of the recommended range. That way it is easier to keep the temps under control. Pitching at 78 is a recipe for disaster with a beer that big. Temp. will just take off like crazy (as you found out)

i would not get my hopes up for a good beer. All you can do at this point is wait it out, but most likely you will have a fusel bomb. And unfortunately fusels do not age out.

Back