Went passed the recommended fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phrank

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a stout kit I brewed, and according to the recipe, I was supposed to have bottled it after about 4 weeks (approximately 6/1). Well, I unfortunately had about a dozen other higher priority things going on at the time (I know, what is higher priority than getting the brew into bottles?!!), and I just now got it bottled. That's about 3 weeks longer in the secondary than per the recipe. It still tasted pretty good, and it measured just over 5% ABV, so I think it will be ok, but I was wondering about any experience here with late bottling. Thanks.

Frank

you are beyond fine. not only did you not harm it, if anything you've improved the beer.

those instructions are nominal - yeast can't read a calendar, and it's not like the kit makers know the subtleties of how you end up brewing the beer... so fret not. let 'em carb up, and prepare yourself for a very tasty treat.

passedpawn said:
Pffft. That's nothing. Bottle that up and enjoy.

I second this. Bottling is the only part of brewing I don't particularly enjoy (well, that and cleaning), so sometimes I've put off bottling for over 6 months from when I originally intended! And that's while the beer is still in the primary at that, since, like many brewers here, I almost never use secondaries.

A far cry from my very first batch where I was nearly freaking out because I wouldn't be able to bottle for 3 weeks, when the instructions said 2!

Last year (October) I had a beer fermenting in my garage when the bubbles stop in the airlock I turn off the heater & leave it. As a trial, as long as there is pressure in the airlock the yeast is still working. Come next March the liquid in the airlock had nearly levelled out. (I usually ferment for a month) When I finally had a barrel free to decant.

I leave it in the barrel for a minimum of two months (after trials) I have a 6 barrel system, No6 is for drinking, No5 being next in line & No1 the youngest. I put a barrel away for trial & it is 12 months old, the beer tastes superb.

Regards Travis.

I brew to suit my tastes

When life gets in the way I often leave some of my brews in the fermenter for a long time. Better too long than too short.

Enjoy

Latest posts

Back