Well water consistency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNatural

The Original, beware of imposters.
Reaction score
So, I got the Consumer Confidence Report from my local water district, hoping to use it to get a feel for my water chemistry. Turns out, it had 3 reports (of varying detail), one for each of the local districts that share/swap water based on agreements that I have no interest in.

And, I have no way of knowing which producer's water is being delivered. So much for sending sample to the lab.

I got to thinking about hauling down water from well on mountain property in 60 gallon ex-olive barrels. Not much trouble and I already have half dozen. Planning to send sample to Ward in couple of weeks and got to thinking - again.
I'm guessing that water chemistry is fairly stable, without much seasonal fluctuation. Is this correct?

Still in a thinking mood, I looked up South Lake Tahoe CCR. I'm 15 miles from South Lake Tahoe. Different drainage and aquifer, but nearly identical in elevation, geology, soil and forest. What are the chances of a similar water profile, minus the treatments added? Then again, do the treatments interact with the the base chemistry and alter the balance?

Anyway, assuming very similar traits, this is link to Tahoe CCR if a guru has a couple of minutes to check it for boogymen. If it doesn't look like a good place to start - off to thinking about RO.
http://www.stpud.us/2013_CCR.pdf

Tahoe water is very low in mineralization because the surrounding mountains are igneous rock and less likely to contribute much mineralization. It is likely that your water is similar, but there is only one way to be sure. Send it off.

Thank you sir!
Of course you realize this means I'll be back asking what the heck all the numbers in the water report mean ;)

Back