Weldless Valve Installation on Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guidry

Reaction score
About to install a weldless valve on my keg and I have a question. I know the bottom of the keg is concave so I was wondering how high above the bottom at the keg wall should I drill the hole? I've seen several with dip tubes attached on the inside to siphon the fluid from below the valve height and I've seen some with a screen tube attached. Obviously the screen would be there to filter out the hop particles and stuff, so that kinda goes against the idea of putting in a dip tube, which would ideally siphon all of the cr*p off the bottom.

So, which way should I go? Looking for pros/cons for both, I guess.

Dip tube with a hop screen of hop spider is what I am going with. False bottom would also work.

I am also curious on where to drill the hole as I am at that stage as well

hop_stopper_XL3.jpg

photo2.jpg

Well, I decided to try the "bazooka screen" first. I installed the valve as low on the sidewall as I could and added the screen. Then I filled the keg to a few inches above the valve and let it drain. The remaining liquid below the valve was almost 1.5 gallons. I am now switching to a dip tube.

Dip tube and false bottom is how I roll. I've used 1# of hops (leaf) with mine and have had ZERO issues. Got it on eBay for like $40?

Sent from my LG-P769 using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back