Weird Semi-Frozen Keg/Bottling Experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooperhonk

Reaction score
My kegerator is dial-controlled and likes to freeze on warmest setting (working on that solution now). Was bottling with a beer gun the other day and did not realize the keg was semi- frozen. I got about 20 beers bottled and the liquid ran dry (so I thought). I had been drinking from this keg for a while and did not realize there were more than 20 beers left. Went to disconnect and clean the keg today and found about 1/4 of the keg at bottom still has beer - frozen solid! So I was pulling liquid into bottles from below the ice layer? Weird.

The beer in the bottles is clear and tastey with great carb. I am thawing the frozen layer now. Will it be any good? The same quality as the stuff I pulled into the bottles? Not sure...will know soon. Just posting to see if this has happened to anyone else and how it turned out.

That happened to me once. What froze was the water in the beer. Once the liquid thawed what was coming out of the tap was mostly water with a hint of beer.

Back