Weird aromas from cold dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeneugs

Reaction score
I put two IPA's in a couple kegs at serving temperature of 40 F. They smelled pretty good from the hydrometer samples beforehand, but now that their fully carbed, they have a weird rotten melon, raw dough smell that kind of ruins them for me.

One keg had two ounces of Centennial and two ounces of Citra. The other had two ounces of Apollo and two ounces of Centennial. I put them in a sanitized hop sock. Anyone have any experience dry hopping cold? Could this put off weird aromas?

I've gotten vegetal, grassy tastes from dry hopping cold in keg. Like wet grass.

No off flavors like that, just some of the grassy notes others mention. I prefer dry hopping in primary now, cold crash for 2 days then keg.

I dryhop in the keg (serving temp) consistently. No. They do no produce off aromas. Sit tight though, beer, aromas change over time, and especially when you first introduce C02. Be patient.

Actually some beers that are hopped in the keg can develop grassy tastes after time. One instance where the taste won't improve with age. I never leave the hops in my kegs unless I know it won't last long. My opinion only based on my experience.

I don't adhere to that school of thought personally.

Done it dozens and dozens of times. All hops are green. Thus have clorophyl, and taste "green" at first. But their true character always comes out in time. Some hops taste "grassier" then others as well. Cascade for instance has a "hay" like flavor to it. It has nothing to do with temperature. Cold temps do seem to slow the maturation of the hop flavors a bit, but that's why so many of us just leave the hops in the keg the entire time. In the end every beer, dryhopped or not, changes in the keg and changes over time.

I have had some success in contests with my hoppy beers to back my experience, but as always, YMMV. I just don't buy into the grassy thing when hopping at cold temps and there's no science I know of that backs that assertion.

PS Blckwater: LOVE that avi!

Back