Weight gain after starting to homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dominic1920

Reaction score
Has anyone else started gaining weight after starting to homebrew? I started homebrewing about a year ago and have gained almost 20 lbs since then. I'm not doing anything else different, just drinking my own beer, wine, and ciders. Still eating the same, and exercising the same. I really enjoy home brewing, I hope I don't have to cut back.

Not yet but I just started kegging and I notice my intake is going up ( also the wife is out of town and I always drink more when she is gone )

Yes, I have had the same thing. I'm going to try dieting and exercising more.

The recipe is always the same- calories consumed - calories burned = weight change.

I have lost 25 lbs in just over a year, mainly by tracking calories using a phone app.

I think the biggest thing I learned is that when I drink beer, I eat lots of crap to go with it. For me, cutting back and eating less junk has made a big difference.

The recipe is always the same- calories consumed - calories burned = weight change.

I have lost 25 lbs in just over a year, mainly by tracking calories using a phone app.

I think the biggest thing I learned is that when I drink beer, I eat lots of crap to go with it. For me, cutting back and eating less junk has made a big difference.

I think that is my problem right there-I eat too much junk food while drinking. Tortilla chips and salsa go so well with everything though. Alas

As someone who works in the weight loss industry, I can say it really comes down to finding a new balance to your life with regards to the calories you ingest and the calories you burn. If you gain 20 pounds in a year, that's just an extra 200 calories a day (not exactly, because in reality there are other factors, and it's not that simple). You can trim back any of the calories you're taking in (food and/or beverages) or burn more. But bravo on recognizing it and taking action. Just remember that once you get rid of the 20 pounds, you'll have to find a new balance again, one that lets you maintain rather than lose weight. Otherwise, if you return to your old patterns, you'll just get the 20 back again. Good luck! BTW, I got rid of 108 pounds, and in January it will be 10 years of keeping it off!

I gained some weight when I started brewing, but not much. The big weight gain happened when my wife was pregnant. She had the kid and I kept the weight. Beer helps me keep it fluffy. I've always been large. Even when I was skinny in HS (6'2" 185#) and brick **** house in the Navy days (6'2" 225) I was always heavier than the charts say I should be. Now I'm rolling at 6'2" 265# and no one ever believes I'm that heavy.

I wear it well. :ban:

I'm always on my feet at work, I eat a lot of fruits and veggies and protein, I bike and hike a lot but cutting back beer just isn't gonna happen. It's one of my few pleasures in life. I usually only have 2 pints per night M-Th and drink however much I feel on the weekend. :mug:

Hey! Don't go blaming the beer. Blame high fructose corn syrup. Hormones in the chicken. All those spiders we eat in our sleep. But doing you go blaming the beer.

I can't gain weight, but I'm sure my liver is being punished :mad:

I drink a lot of beer. But I haven't had a doughnut in 30 years, so I'm still 135 pounds and 5'5".

I would blame the sugar and junk food and excess intake long before I blamed the beer!

I don't think I could go 30 days without a doughnut! maybe 30 hours... maybe. mmmm... bacon wrapped, deep fried, chocolate covered, Boston cream filled doughnuts. dammit Yoop! I just had lunch and now I'm hungry again!

I don't think I could go 30 days without a doughnut! maybe 30 hours... maybe. mmmm... bacon wrapped, deep fried, chocolate covered, Boston cream filled doughnuts. dammit Yoop! I just had lunch and now I'm hungry again!

Haha- it helps that I don't have a sweet tooth I guess. I detest sweet things, and wouldn't be able to gag down a soda if my life depended on it.

I pretty much eat a modified paleo type of eating. I eat tons of veggies, no wheat and very little other grain, and lots of good protein sources. I do not eat sugar in any form, whether refined or in something like honey. I do love bacon- but I don't eat sugar or refined grains (except for that in my beer!).

I also hate chocolate, which is weird because I love coffee and beer, both of which most people think of as bitter. But there is this weird off flavor in chocolate that has put me off my whole life.

Maybe if I didn't drink any beer I'd be thinner, but I'd probably be surly. :D

I've been this weight for, I dunno, maybe 25-30 years (?), so I think it's a good weight for me.

Haha- it helps that I don't have a sweet tooth I guess. I detest sweet things, and wouldn't be able to gag down a soda if my life depended on it.

I pretty much eat a modified paleo type of eating. I eat tons of veggies, no wheat and very little other grain, and lots of good protein sources. I do not eat sugar in any form, whether refined or in something like honey. I do love bacon- but I don't eat sugar or refined grains (except for that in my beer!).

I also hate chocolate, which is weird because I love coffee and beer, both of which most people think of as bitter. But there is this weird off flavor in chocolate that has put me off my whole life.

Maybe if I didn't drink any beer I'd be thinner, but I'd probably be surly. :D

I've been this weight for, I dunno, maybe 25-30 years (?), so I think it's a good weight for me.
whatever works for you. my sweet tooth is a mile long. my metabolism is way too fast and I burn everything up before I'm done chewing.
Is it dog poop? The chocolate. Does it kind of remind you of dog poop?

Um, no.

How about you? How did you come up with that? :D
I think Freud could've written a series on Zuljin.:D

Calories In vs Calories Out.... When I am home working on projects or just plinking in the garage I will drink 8 to 12 beers a day. I skip breakfast and lunch and usually eat a high protein low calorie dinner to balance out the calories for the day. I still gain but not as much.... In addition..... I stumbled upon an Ancient Old Irish secret..... when you don't eat you don't feel full so you can drink more beer..... gotta love the Irish!

It's a real thing. It's rare, but to some people, chocolate has a subtle underlying aroma of feces. Usually milk chocolate.

I only get a whiff every now and then, and I still like chocolate.

Calories have to be offset somehow. Exercise, eat less processed food, sugar, bread and potatoes... and drink beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have actually lost weight, mainly because I started brewing about the same time as I moved away from my college town. I don't have all the drinking buddies in this town, full time job and joined a gym. I just don't drink as much as I used to and exercise a lot more

Well, I for one have certainly increased my intake after learning to brew.

Back