Week old wort for starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

compact007

Reaction score
M brewing a small 3 gallon batch to test my wild hops I grew this year ( 3 rd year plants, first good harvest) and in also going to brew a 10 gallon batch the weekend of November 2. Could I pull off 1 liter into my flask of the cooled wort, cover the flask with sanitized foil and stick it in my fridge, for a starter for the 10 gallon batch next Thursday of Friday? Is there anything I should do different?

Thanks

compact007 said:
M brewing a small 3 gallon batch to test my wild hops I grew this year ( 3 rd year plants, first good harvest) and in also going to brew a 10 gallon batch the weekend of November 2. Could I pull off 1 liter into my flask of the cooled wort, cover the flask with sanitized foil and stick it in my fridge, for a starter for the 10 gallon batch next Thursday of Friday? Is there anything I should do different?

Thanks

I'd re-boil the wort before using in a starter, but otherwise you should be fine. When I do this on occasion I like to use mason jars as they have very tight sealing lids

Yeah, I should have some mason jars and lids handy! Would a air lock be a better idea then the foil?

I would just make the starter now. Without yeast in it, that wort is just asking for infection. If you make the starter now, you can chill it when it is done until your brew day, then decant the spent starter beer and pitch.

I have some old opened dme I could make a starter with thursday. But I mean old... Over a year, maybe closer to two.. Worried about that stuff!

Wouldn't be worried about the DME. You have to boil it anyway, so most anything in there will die or at least be denatured beyond reproduction in the boil.

If you want to save wort for starters, you need to pressure can. See my sig for tips.

Freezing is also a viable option, in the short term (I think this case applies).

Latest posts

Back