website for fresh hot peppers for my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unionrdr

Homebrewer, author & air gun collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I tried to do a web search for places around Avon, OH for ghost, scorpion & reaper peppers. No such luck at all. So I continued searching & found this place in Illinois that sells fresh in season (now) & dried & even dried/smoked... https://ghostpepperstore.3dcartstores.com/ Good prices & uses USPS prority mail. I decided against the scorpions, as they're said to be as high as 2,009,231 scoville! Here's the two I chose for my Hellfire IIPA;
Red Ghosts; https://ghostpepperstore.3dcartstores.com/Fresh-Red-Ghost-Peppers-2-oz_p_88.html 1m scoville, 2oz equals 8-10 peppers.
Red Fatalii; https://ghostpepperstore.3dcartstores.com/Fresh-Red-Fatalii-2-oz_p_79.html Known more for it's flavor than heat, but heat comparable to a habenero. Said by the site to be full of flavor. They only ship on Monday & Wednesday by 6am, so they won't go out till this Monday. Dang it, missed the boat this weekend when it cools down. Gotta look up that thread we were doing about the hot pepper beer. Forgot if the boil was for heat & secondary for flavor or vise-versa?...

ok, ill bite. why in the world would you want to make beer with a 2million+ scoville chile? if it was just for flavor i could understand, not much weirder/different than coffee, cocoa, coriander, nuts, flowers, etc. but a chile with 2mil+ scovilles? i dont get it. all i can picture is a looping gif or video of some moron--

he's taking a swig-
his face has an odd look-
his face explodes with pain and tears-
he frantically grabs a bottle of beer to swig-

repeat.

thats crazy.

i would add the chilies just in the primary to prevent too much heat extraction. Thats worked for me in tehpast and my friend that taught me to brew

My friend dropped 3 habs in a keg of ryewine, and after just a couple of days, it was delightfully "warm". One pint, and my lips felt it the whole way home.

Be mindful that when the beer is cold, the heat is not as noticeable, but as it warms in the glass, the heat really starts to show up.

Start light, and increase as necessary. I'd hate to see you lose a whole batch because it's too freaking hot to drink.

Well, the longer red ghosts are said by the site to be 1M scoville, & the red fatalii no hotter than a habanero, but a lot of flavor? I looked through all 20-some search threads for the hot peppers in beer thread I discussed it all in, but no luck. I just needed to remember if heat came from near end of boil, & flavor from dry-peppering, or what?
Maybe 1 ghost & two fatalii's the last 10-15 minutes of the boil, with a couple more red fatalii's toward the end of primary roasted for flavor? ** I just did some more searching & the math. With 1 ghost & two red fatallii, the scoville of this beer could be 1,275,000 to 1,650,000 scoville. Hm...maybe need to back off too 1 ghost for heat, & 2 red fatalii roasted, seeded & de-veined for dry peppering? That'd come down to 1,125,000 to 1,325,000 scoville, depending on their actual heat amounts in 5 gallons?

Do you grow your own peppers at all? I like hot food but no so much spicy beer. I do, however, grow several different kinds of peppers in the summer time for my winter time chili, hot sauces, rubs, etc, etc... I pick them off the plant and put them in a bag in the freezer until I need to use them. It would work great for beer too I'd think. They're easy to grow in a pot and I've even kept them alive during the winter to use next summer. That way, you don't have to worry about shipping, and you get free peppers! :mug:

I can't even identify them, but I bought a box of peppers here: https://www.sicmanshotpeppersandpowders.com/ $10 for a box of peppers (but I can't identify most of them, besides the ones I know).

It came with some pepper powder as well.

At least one or two are ghost peppers, more than a few are habaneros and other hot ones. There are several scotch bonnet. No cayenne or jalapenos or thai peppers that I can see.

All are HOT. Very hot. I cut one open, and just licked an edge to get an idea of how much to use in a dish. OH MY GOD. I love hot stuff, and can eat anything- but my throat closed up and my mouth felt like I was swallowing swords of fire.

So I used 1/2 of that in a dish, and the dish, after cooked exhibited moderate hotness. I have no idea what kind it is, but that box of peppers will last a long time.

I may go into the fermented hot sauce arena next with some of the peppers, plus my own loco peppers and ghost peppers. But if you want HOT, that is the place.

This place I linked has the 7 hot pots, ghosts, fatalii (African),Moruga scorpions, scotch bonnets, chocolate habanero, Different colors of other peppers, carolina reaper. Some rather colorful names for the 7 pots. But here's my story of the first time I tasted the ghost chile sauce my son gave me in a box of different super hot sauces. I put one drop on my finger tip & lapped it up. Oh my Lord, it tasted a little bit citrusy...for about 5 seconds. Then the heat hit me, but not so much heat as a sort of drying sensation & loss of breath. Then hiccups.
So, last spring, he had some ghosts left from last season & gave me some. Bright red lumpy, pimply perverted bits of concentrated hellfire! Hence my name for the ale, " Hellfire IIPA". So, anyway,I cut off about 3/8" from the pointy end of the pepper & munched it up. about 4 seconds later, I'm thinking, " Oh, you evil little sonofab****"! :D No hiccups, just that extreme drying sensation in mouth & down my throat. My tongue was melting, my cheeks turned to molten cellophane, & my eyes breathed a fire all their own. And I definitely blew an "O" ring on that one! So I know what you mean all too well.
But, having said that, I don't think all the heat will be brought out of the peppers in the late boil stage. Even less after primary...even though they claim alcohol dissolves capsaicin? Just dissolves it out of the peppers, it seems from commercial hot ales sampled on youtrub...:mug:
** After looking at the site you linked, I see ghosts, chocolate scorpions, reapers, Thai chiles ( the red baby carrot lookin' ones), & chocolate habanero. He seems to have some 4 different colors of ghosts.

ok, ill bite. why in the world would you want to make beer with a 2million+ scoville chile? if it was just for flavor i could understand, not much weirder/different than coffee, cocoa, coriander, nuts, flowers, etc. but a chile with 2mil+ scovilles? i dont get it. all i can picture is a looping gif or video of some moron--

he's taking a swig-
his face has an odd look-
his face explodes with pain and tears-
he frantically grabs a bottle of beer to swig-

repeat.

thats crazy.

Decoy beer stash.

It was originally my son, the chile head's idea. His peppers were slow getting going, with all the rain & cold weather until the middle of July. So I decided on a "dry run" where I bought the ingredients to make a batch of my own to experiment first. Besides, promises made for collaborations on youtube that could help my brewvision channel.

It was originally my son, the chile head's idea. His peppers were slow getting going, with all the rain & cold weather until the middle of July. So I decided on a "dry run" where I bought the ingredients to make a batch of my own to experiment first. Besides, promises made for collaborations on youtube that could help my brewvision channel.

What kind of collaborations?

Maybe a bad choice of words, idk. But a certain youtuber wants a bottle of the beer, I assume to try on one of his webcasts? so naturally I'll include the name of my channel when I ship it, label & all. Some of his commenters want a bottle as well, but I need to figure out some kind of age verification so I'm not shipping alcohol to minors. I also got two e-mails from the Ghost Pepper Store that they were shipped yesterday two day pony express. Reading their FAQ's, I also found I was right about capsaicin being alcohol soluble. Knew I read that someplace. They also say that rubbing alcohol is good for getting the burn off your skin, but to wear rubber/nitrile gloves to start with. Gotta hit Walmart again for'em. I grinned when I got to the part where he said anything carbonated is a very bad idea ( in regard to cooling the burn). he heh heh hahahahaaaa hoh hohoooo. ( Heath Ledger Joker here)...he'll sit there, looking at the bottle & remember that ghost chile video from a couple years ago, & I'll be thinking, " uh, uh...what happened? Did your b**** fall off"? heheheee:mug:
Here's the label;

Well, the peppers came in the mail a while ago, & my son brought them in after work. The Red fatalii's are plumper on the right & a bit more orange/red in appearance. Ghosts on the left, & definitely redder & more pimply/wrinkly lookin'. The zip lock bags are 2ozs each.

I grow all kinds of peppers. I can sell small flat rate box full for $15. If you go on TheHotPepper.com there are all kinds of people that sell their extras. Any kind of pepper you can think of. I grow over 50 varieties myself.

I had a friend's jalapeno porter - he secondaried on 5 whole jalapenos and it was really warm, but good. I certainly would not want it any hotter.

I think boiling them you are going to get a ton of heat. A ton. Might be fun for a 1 gallon batch, but I can't see anyone finishing a whole bottle of what you are talking about making.

I'm upping my jalapeño blonde to 8 as I need a bit more where it should still be ok with those, unlike me, who can't take a fresh jalapeño, and so I've wanted to brew something hot (I eat several Tai chilis or a Serrano with a meal) just for me or anyone else who likes really hot.

So I'm with Union here, and as it turns out I figured I'd name my habanero strong ale Hellfire as well. Guess you beat me to it though...

Wish I was closer as I'd like to try it myself!

I had a beer at my old LHBS that supposedly had 1 ghost chili in it and it burnt on the way down... in a good way (I love spicy). I used some Ghost chilis in a recent BBQ sauce (used 5 in 3 cups of homemade BBQ sauce!) and the burn was minimal... They were dried peppers though. So when it comes to heat, Im turned off from using dried peppers.

As for use in beer, Ive had best results in using them in the secondary (or keg conditioning) with habenaros (for heat) and Aneheim (for flavor)

I had a friend's jalapeno porter - he secondaried on 5 whole jalapenos and it was really warm, but good. I certainly would not want it any hotter.

I think boiling them you are going to get a ton of heat. A ton. Might be fun for a 1 gallon batch, but I can't see anyone finishing a whole bottle of what you are talking about making.
So maybe put the 1 ghost in secondary/end of primary? Then add the 2-3 fatalii's to the last 10-15 minutes of the boil for more control over heat & flavor? Gotta brew it tomorrow, Cooper's bitter for ale & malt vinegar today.
I'm upping my jalapeño blonde to 8 as I need a bit more where it should still be ok with those, unlike me, who can't take a fresh jalapeño, and so I've wanted to brew something hot (I eat several Tai chilis or a Serrano with a meal) just for me or anyone else who likes really hot.

So I'm with Union here, and as it turns out I figured I'd name my habanero strong ale Hellfire as well. Guess you beat me to it though...

Wish I was closer as I'd like to try it myself!
I'm going to be sending out single bottles to youtubers. LA Beast for one. Maybe trade bottles?
I had a beer at my old LHBS that supposedly had 1 ghost chili in it and it burnt on the way down... in a good way (I love spicy). I used some Ghost chilis in a recent BBQ sauce (used 5 in 3 cups of homemade BBQ sauce!) and the burn was minimal... They were dried peppers though. So when it comes to heat, Im turned off from using dried peppers.

As for use in beer, Ive had best results in using them in the secondary (or keg conditioning) with habenaros (for heat) and Aneheim (for flavor)
So secondary would be better for the hotter (1M scoville) ghost? The African red fatalii's are 125K to 325K scoville, & they're said to be the favorite of pepper connoisseurs for flavor. Want that flavor in there as well as the heat. I'm also using a ton of fruity/citrusy hops that should accurately mimic the flavors of the peppers. UK, NZ & US to be more precise.

I'll be ordering my ingredients for my jalapeño blonde (further revision) here soon. Seems a fitting swap!

Initially it was a bastard cream ale backbone, and when I started cleaning it up it became a blonde, but it seemed to have lost the great beer flavor. I had been doing a partial mash and using a Pilsner LME which was swapped for 2-row and a little wheat, so now I'll be trying some 6-row to see if it will give me more of that lager-like quality.

I'm gonna try to brew it up tomorrow. Dang, I wish the new stove would get here sooner than Wednesday. It has a 5th, large burner.

I just got a bag of ghost peppers and some carolina reapers from the ghost pepper store today, looking forward to experimenting with them.

I'm a big fan of a bold IPA with about 12 halved habaneros in the keg for about a week, then transfer off the peppers. I'm probably gonna start out with much fewer of these peppers.

I'm assuming by your choice of peppers that you're expecting heat. When I brewed with ghost peppers, I split a 5 gallon batch 5 ways. Won't bother with the other three, but one gallon got a whole ghost pepper, and one got a ghost pepper, a whole habanero, along with a jalapeno and serrano (the other three peppers were in the first three, basically individual peppers and then the combo). The single ghost pepper gallon had an intense heat, flavorful start, quick buildup, and then quickly died back down. But intense for about 30 seconds. It was actually very popular. The one with all four was too much for anyone but me (substantially hotter than Ghost Face Killah, if you've had it).

So I would consider going as high as 1 whole pepper per gallon if you're so inclined.

What I did was slice the peppers, soak in vodka, and then add the whole thing (flesh, seeds, ribs, and vodka) in secondary. Give it 5 days, and then bottle/keg.

Well, I'll be using less per gallon for sure. 1 ghost towards the end of the boil (10-15 minutes, 5G batch)cut in half...might reserve seeds? Then 3 fatalii's for flavor & a tad more heat at the end of primary when I also dry hop the beer. I just hope all that capsaicin doesn't kill the yeast? I'll be rehydrating two packets of US-05. The reapers Might see some use with fatalii's in a chocolate mole' stout.

So, While the mash water is heating on the new stove, I decided to definitely use 2 ghost peppers @ 10 minutes left in the boil. Now, when I go to dry hop, I'll also add 2 fatalii's & one trinidad scorpion. If they don't seem to affect the yeast's performance, I assume this'll be fine? * got an OG of 1.082 against estimate of 1.087. couldn't batch sparge, as 4G kettle MIA?
9/26/15- Finally started visibly fermenting @ 9:01AM today. Rehydrating two fresh packets of US-05 against the 3 packets recommended by BS2 must be the reason? Pitched @ 8:35PM Thursday...

Well, this should prove interesting. It's been two weeks & 2 days in primary. Time for a first FG sample. I'm curious about the current heat/flavor levels of the peppers vs the like-flavored hops I used?
*!* Well, here's a surprise. The first FG sample is @ 1.022, 2 weeks & two days in primary. Still cloudy with yeast. Aroma is fruity with fresh citrus, similar to the aroma/flavor of the hot peppers I'm using. Cool. Flavor gives a bit more citrus &-the surprising part-not too much heat from the 2 ghosts! A nice little amount of heat, & the pepper's flavor is supplemented by the hops I used, in order to sort of magnify the pepper flavors. Rather than masking them. So when I dry hop & dry pepper with the remaining flavor hop packet's .8oz, & the 2 fatalii & 1 scorpion pepper, it should be a real nice flavor & a pleasant little burn! That's also 8.54% so far...

OK, took 2nd FG today, which read FG 1.016! Down 6 points from 1st FG on 10/10/15. That gives an ABV, according to Cooper's formula of 9.35%! BOOYAH! Still cloudy, but not quite turbid. Rehydrating 2 packets of US-05 is really going to town. Smells more like an average ale atm. Taste is improving, the fruity side of the hop additions now at the forefront, with the citrus coming close behind. Very similar to the average taste of super hot peppers. The heat was a bit less, possibly more refined, but coming in sooner than on the back. The first FG sample had the heat on the back. So I think 1 scorpion & 2 fatalii's in the dry hop will be just right, amazingly.
It seems hot peppers can come through nicely in a beer, but not as hot as eating them whole & fresh. Although I used them fresh in the boil. I can't wait for it to settle out so I can get the dry hop/pepper going! :mug:

LOL, theyve added like 8 new peppers to that site since you brewed your pepper beer

Yeah, that guy grows a lot of high quality peppers fer sher! They get picked a day or two before ripe on the plant, he says, so they get to you at their peak. I believe it, as they got to me beautiful. The pics say it all, I think. The two ghost chilis I added 10 minutes from the end of the boil give a nice little heat in 5 gallons of IIPA that comes on a lot sooner in the 2nd FG sample I just posted about. 9.35% at this point!

Well, hell. Took another FG sample today, 10 days after 2nd one when it was 1.016 & tasted good, but very misty to a bit cloudy. Still very misty just now, & down to 1.014. Band aid taste now too, but I think that's from the Co2 dissolved keeping trub, etc in suspension. Going to dry hop & add the other peppers in a bit & bottle it next Saturday. That should get the nasty stuff to settle out.
**PS- Opened the pail & nothing on the surface but lil tiny bits of krausen foam, as one would typically see, Whew, just swirled up trub I tasted. Looks clear from the top...maybe spigot was a bit full of trub this time? Dropped in remaining .8oz of the 5 flavor hops used. 1 ghost & 1 red fatalii went in as well. Pics in a bit.
Pic of sanitized pepper/dry hop bag in sanitized container/ shot glass;

Sunk below level of IIPA;

Used my cell camera, as it was easier to use one-handed while working with the other...

I bottled this one on 11/22, so Monday morning the 14th @ 3 weeks, it'll be going in the fridge. that'll be 10 days as of Christmas eve. And since it's supposed to be 60, 64 & 67F Friday, Saturday & Sunday, the beer will have some warmer temps to carb up a bit more by then. It has a nicer heat level than I previously anticipated from a taste while racking to the bottling bucket. I primed it to 2.4 Vco2 as well to bring more flavors & aromas out. The hops used were intended to be fruity/citrusy, mimicking the flavors of the super hot peppers used. It also looks, in the bottles, to be an amber/copper color as well. I can't wait to share some with my older son who helped imagineer this one on Christmas Eve! We'll know then what I've wrought...:mug:

A higher carb level helps bring out the flavor of the peppers?

I'll be brewing up a strong ale using 4 habaneros in 5.25 gals on Wed and figured I'd do around 2.0-2.2 vols of carb. Maybe I'll set it to 2.4 vols then.

Well, it's my reasoning from experiences up to this point that carbonation brings out more than mere aroma. But, on the other hand, I've been sniffin' paint fumes for a few hours....Soon it'll be time to put the new desk together, &...

12 bottles of it went into the fridge this morning with 7 bottles each of the ESB & Whiskely for Christmas. That dark amber/copper color looked real inviting!...

I gave my son a 6'r of my home brews, along with a fancy SS bbq tool set in a carrying case for Christmas. 4 bottles of Hellfire IIPA, a bottle of Cooper's English Bitter- now an ESB, & a bottle of my Queen Anne's Revenge Whiskely Stout. He tried the Hellfire IIPA & posted it on Facebook. The beer came from an idea he had during a late Friday night phone discussion while his brother & I were watching Bonanza on YouTube.
He explained what he thought the beer should be, from a craft brew drinker's perspective. I then explained same to him from the brewer's perspective. He doesn't think he can handle the " rocket science" of home brewing, but he is gaining a better understanding of the process of brewing beer. I guess he listens more than I think to my home brewer psycho babble? :D
He gets so many ideas that basically don't sound too bad, so maybe I'm getting to him, albeit slowly? Ha...we are the home brewers, you WILL be assimilated...resistance is futile! So, anyway, Here's what he said on facebook, with the beer poured in a New Belgium snifter glass- can't get the post posted? So here's what he said with the pic, " Michael Cogar- This is the brew me & my dad came up with. I am proud to present Hellfire double IPA! Brewed with US, UK & New Zealand hops along with ghost, fatalii, Trinidad scorpion peppers. 9.3%ABV. My personal review is that sweet citrusy hops up front, which seem to linger a bit, along with a nice maltiness, followed by a nice bite of heat at the end. While it isn't burn your mouth out heat, it is there & not overkill. Excellent stuff! Thanks to (me) for brewing this one! Great job"!
Awe, shucks, twern't nuthin'. Definitely one of those moments of pride in an achievement. Besides my getting him started on craft beers & my own offerings, teaching him what's what. He seems to have taken off & run with it?! Just wish I could get facebook post to post here. But, those were his words, at any rate. with 11 days fridge time as of Christmas day, they did come out pretty well after all. Now, I can only imagine how much better this one would've been if I'd used the 3 packets of US-05 rehydrated as BS2 suggested. I'll never get cheap on a recipe again! Especially when they cost so much to produce as an imperial.

Back