Weak boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronjonacron

Reaction score
I've been using the same pot and burner for a couple years now. The last 2 or 3 batches I've done I haven't gotten a strong boil even though I'm cranking the gas wide open. The aluminum pot I'm using is a bit warped on the bottom and I'm getting a ton of carbon build up on the burner and the pot. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?

Is the flame Blue or yellow?.

Lots of black soot would indicate incorrect gas/O2 ratio and incomplete combustion. Try adjusting the damper on the burner. Or there could be something blocking the inlet to the burner. I had a something build a nest in my burner once.

I agree with Steelers 77, black soot means incomplete combustion. You didn't say which burner you have, so I need more info to help you fix it.

IME you need to disassemble your burner and clean it. Some burners are cast iron and rust and crap accumulates to the point of a poor burn. Remove the nut or screw in the center of the burner and disassemble where the flame emits, and remove the rust, dirt etc. with a wire brush, or chip off scale as needed. Boil overs can also impede the orifices of the burner and result in poor output.

Guessing you have a turkey fryer with a ring burner like this with a screw in the center of the burner????

http://morebeer.com/products/propane-burner-55000-btu.html?gclid=CJee89DOnL4CFWIF7AodlmEAFw

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/bac...ogleShopping&gclid=CPaswKLPnL4CFUMQ7Aod1gcA_g

Wilser, that's exactly what I have . Academy sports special. $40 dollar burner. Pot and burner are my next two upgrades now that my kegging operation is pretty much complete. I'll clean that thing out in the next couple hours and test it and report back.

Sure enough I took it apart and there was rust and other crud down there. Put it back together and fired it up and there was a nice blue flame. Thanks for the pointers guys.

Back