We went to a burger joint tonight that had a really good beer menu

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chimay with a burger, sounds pretty nice!

Where I live such a beer menu ANYWHERE is just a fantasy. Lucky to get a Boston Lager.

There is a 3 restaurant chain around here that has great burgers along with 40 taps of mostly craft beers. Selection changes at least weekly if not more often. Always fun to go there and try some hard to find beers.

Chimay with a burger, sounds pretty nice!

If you happen to like Chimay!

After all the hype on this board, I bought a Chimay Blue from Alko the other day. I found it to be overly sweet and lacking any hint of hops. I wouldn't turn one down for free, but I wouldn't pay for one again. I mean, one little 0,33l bottle costs 4,39 EUR. That's like already on the level of ridiculous and stuff.

If you happen to like Chimay!

After all the hype on this board, I bought a Chimay Blue from Alko the other day. I found it to be overly sweet and lacking any hint of hops. I wouldn't turn one down for free, but I wouldn't pay for one again. I mean, one little 0,33l bottle costs 4,39 EUR. That's like already on the level of ridiculous and stuff.
There's a rich complex of flavors behind that sweetness, that you seem to have missed. Perhaps you drank it too cold, or too quickly?

Of course if what you want from beer is in-your-face hops, there are plenty of IPA's out there. Different strokes for different folks....

Add: I haven't had a chance to try it myself, but apparently the Chimay Tripel is a lot drier (less sweet) than the Blue, and has a stronger hop presence. If it's available in your area, it might be worth trying.

There's a rich complex of flavors behind that sweetness, that you seem to have missed. Perhaps you drank it too cold, or too quickly?

Drank it at room temp, as I do with almost all beer.

Actually, now that I think back I can imagine that I would probably like it with some super garlicy, buttery baked snails. Can't imagine too many other cases, though.

I'm not a fan of overly hopped beer, but I do like at least some bitterness!

and if you haven't been to Stone, being a stone's throw away from Escondito, please go and have one for me.

I had several while on vacation there a few weeks ago, enough for both of us & then some. Brought several bottles home with me as well. Love that place. The Liberty Station location was very impressive and there is also a little known location in Oceanside walking distance from the theater. Just tap & bottles, no food, but having an Old Guardian before going to see Guardians of the Galaxy just seemed fitting.

As far a burgers go, I was surpised to see Angelo's Burgers advertising craft beer, there are about 5-6 of em in the O'side area. It was 7am in the morning and I was only after one of their breakfast burittos so I didn't pay attention, but I imagine a small selection of bottles from local breweries with none on tap. Could be wrong though.

No offense, but with CA distribution that is NOT a good beer list.

Stone, Lost Coast, Bootlegger's, Hoegaarden, Sierra Nevada, Delirium Tremens, La Fin Du Monde, Rochefort, Ommegang, Chimay? No BMC at all? If that's not a good beer list I want to go to your burger joint. Granted, it's not Yardhouse, but their burgers are better. :mug:

Of course if what you want from beer is in-your-face hops, there are plenty of IPA's out there. Different strokes for different folks....

Add: I haven't had a chance to try it myself, but apparently the Chimay Tripel is a lot drier (less sweet) than the Blue, and has a stronger hop presence. If it's available in your area, it might be worth trying.

The dry hopped tripel is even better, I love all the Chimays though. At about 13 U.S. bucks a bottle I didn't think it was too pricey.

Drank it at room temp, as I do with almost all beer.

Actually, now that I think back I can imagine that I would probably like it with some super garlicy, buttery baked snails. Can't imagine too many other cases, though.

I'm not a fan of overly hopped beer, but I do like at least some bitterness!
I've hit both ends of the spectrum in the last couple of days. Yesterday I had a Samuel Adams Oatmeal Stout, and today I just finished a bomber of Firestone Double Jack double IPA. I enjoyed each of them immensely...

We have a Counter down here in ATL. Always good beer selections but now there are a few other gourmet burger joints that might be able to beat them out.

Back