wax dipping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchuklobrau

Reaction score
I have an extremely sentimental batch getting ready to bottle soon, and thought id like to wax dip the bottle necks as opposed to using shrink tubes. Does any one have experience using wax that could share the technique with me? Whats the best way to melt the wax? Will i need any special tools? Any help would be appreciated.

you can use a double boiler on the stove.

not sure if there is a specific wax to use, the wax on makers mark bottles and similar all feel slightly harder/thicker than normal candle wax. the thickness does have to do with the temperature of the wax at application. if its too hot you will only get a thin film.

there are videos of wax dipping on youtube (of course)

I wax dipped some bottles: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/dfh-120-minute-clone-259314/index5.html#post3388462

They turned out really nice. I followed the advice of this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/hot-glue-bottle-wax-experiment-127485/

What I learned from it:
-I used a ratio of 12 crayons and 20 glue sticks (if you use the mini ones, it's more like 36). The consistency was good.
-A double boiler won't provide enough heat. I heated my wax in a soup can i stuck in the oven. If you have a gas stovetop, that'll work.
-Stir, stir and stir. You have to keep the consistency even.
-I needed about 16 crayons and 50 mini glue sticks to do 40 bottles. It was barely enough.
-The visual effect is really cool, it's worth the effort.

I'm brewing a big Russian Imperial Stout soon that I plan to do the same with only in black or grey.

Prior to dipping, I wrap a piece of packing tape (the kind embedded with fibers) around the cap - leaving a little tag end unattached. To remove the wax one merely unwraps the tape. I'm not sure if you can see it in the attached photo.

Christmas_2010_040.JPG

I wax dipped some bottles: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/dfh-120-minute-clone-259314/index5.html#post3388462

They turned out really nice. I followed the advice of this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/hot-glue-bottle-wax-experiment-127485/

What I learned from it:
-I used a ratio of 12 crayons and 20 glue sticks (if you use the mini ones, it's more like 36). The consistency was good.
-A double boiler won't provide enough heat. I heated my wax in a soup can i stuck in the oven. If you have a gas stovetop, that'll work.
-Stir, stir and stir. You have to keep the consistency even.
-I needed about 16 crayons and 50 mini glue sticks to do 40 bottles. It was barely enough.
-The visual effect is really cool, it's worth the effort.

I'm brewing a big Russian Imperial Stout soon that I plan to do the same with only in black or grey.

I now must try this.

Prior to dipping, I wrap a piece of packing tape (the kind embedded with fibers) around the cap - leaving a little tag end unattached. To remove the wax one merely unwraps the tape. I'm not sure if you can see it in the attached photo.

Christmas_2010_040.JPG

Are those milk applied labels from a laser printer? I have yet to make any labels for my batches, and since I'm kegging, I've never wanted to. But, I'm probably going to be giving some away this holiday season, and those labels look slick.

Yep, laser printed with milk glue. After the milk is dry I spray the label with a light coat of polyurethane, or hair spray - depending on what I have on hand.

Good call on the tape. I am dipping in a few weeks for an Old Ale that will have the first one popped around xmas next year. I was planning on using a twist tie instead of the tape, but those look good, maybe I'll do it that way.

thanks for all the input. the wax dipping turned out good. labels on. bottles were well recieved. there were many tears shed by the fortunate few that got a bottle.

thanks for all the input. the wax dipping turned out good. labels on. bottles were well recieved. there were many tears shed by the fortunate few that got a bottle.

Sounds like it was a very meaningful batch of beer, which I respect. Beer isn't merely a beverage, it is an art form, a sublimation of our divine pedigree into physical form. It isn't just beer, it is a universal language between all colors and creeds.

Well it was special, however it was blueberry wine. My mother had picked the berries, and she is no longer with us. It is a great feeling however to have one of your creations well received.

Back