Watery tasting beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timrific1

Reaction score
My girlfriend says that my beer tastes "watery". I have made several different types I think they taste good (porter, honey nut brown, prohibition lager, etc)
Why would they taste "watery" to her? And how can I make them better for her to drink?

Yea they are carbed up enough. They have all been carbed for at least a month? How would I get more flavor out of the recipes?
Longer brew times?

It's tough to say what she is finding watery, however, it could be lack of a head or maybe the presence of too much sanitizer. Taking a shot in the dark. Even though its carbed, the lack of head or head retention often leads people to think the beer is watery even if it is carbed. The other thing could be getting some of that slippery feel from sanitizer. I know when I started brewing I was anal with keeping everything clean and there was sanitizer on everything. This gave my initial brews a slippery water feel even though they had a full body.

The only other thing I can think of is low attenuation. Get that silky mouthfeel and describing it as watery even when it's full bodied. Not sure what your wife drinks normally, but if they are used to the dry crisp lagers (bud miller coors, etc) then maybe a sweeter mouthy ale could feel watery to them. Just a thought. I wouldn't expect a porter and nut brown to be watery!

Are you extract brewing, because sometimes the quality of the malt extract can affect it. My first couple beers were watery, but then I switched to a different extract and it made a lot of difference.

Back