Waterproof Remote Thermometer Probes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Normans54

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I have been using a Maverick ETC-732 thermometer to remotely monitor my mash tun temperatures (and yes I know that this is a bbq thermometer, but I cannot find any other remote thermometers). Unfortunately, I have destroyed three thermometers in this manner. I have tried coating them in food safe sealant, using food-safe heat shrink tubing, attaching it to a cork so that it would float, and a combination of the three. Unfortunately, none of them seem to work to protect the probes. As a result, I was wondering if anybody had another suggestion for potentially waterproofing the probe or in the alternative, could someone recommend a wireless waterproof thermometer that I could purchase to use instead? Thanks so much for any advice you can provide!!!

Install a thermal-well in your mash tun and you won't have to worry about it. Post details about your MLT and we/I can help you figure out how to install one.

Install a thermal-well in your mash tun and you won't have to worry about it. Post details about your MLT and we/I can help you figure out how to install one.

I was actually thinking about doing this. I have two MLTs that I use (depending on the size of the batch I am doing): a 10 gallon round igloo cooler with a copper sparge arm built into the lid and a standard stainless steel dome false bottom and a 25 gallon square picnic cooler with a copper sparge arm built into the lid and a false bottom constructed from a network of copper tubing with small slits cut into it. How would you suggest I go about making/installing a thermowell into these two?

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I haven't been on HBT in a while.

Since your MLTs are are plastic, you'll need to install a bulkhead like this one:

http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=47&product_id=252

Then you can screw in a 1/2 thermowell like one of these:

https://mainlandvalve.com/store/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=3f76239abe14c6481754733b7fc23ffa&keyword=thermowell&x=0&y=0

Keep your well as short as you can but still get a good reading so it won't interfere with stirring. A penetration of about 3-4 inches into your mash should be sufficient.

Back