water volumes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just_another_drunkard_666

Reaction score
100% newb alert, so bare with me please. Maybe I'm missing something here but I'm trying to come up with a definitive water volume for a biab no sparge brew.
I want 10 litres in the fermenter, grains will absorb .7, .8/L since I'm squeezing the bag. Hop pellets I assume is almost nothing (.008/L). I'm dumping my kettle through a strainer so I'm not seeing any significant lose there unless I pour it all over myself. I calculated my boil off rate and it's a paltry 2.4L/H.
So In my math, with 2.5 kg grains, I get in my head around 14.1, 14.2L water needed for my brewday. I've used priceless biab, and plain old biab calculator and I'm getting different numbers from each. Not drastically, but enough that I'm unsure. Maybe I'm just not screwing with the settings or inputting my info correctly. Seeing this is only my second brew, I don't want to get insanely technical, but it'd be nice to be confident in my volume.

Last edited:
When it comes to software. My suggestions is to tinker with a few, then pick one and run with it, from what i have heard each program uses a slightly different equations. I went with Beer Smith 2. It will take a few Brewers to get you equipment dialed in so that you can hit the numbers. Patience, as hard as that is, is the key.

How do you get 10 gallons of wort when your only using 14.2 Liters of water. My suggestion is to stick with one system. I don't use a program but have found that using .04 x grain weight gives me an accurate grain absorption (in gallons) when squeezing. Screw the program for BIAB it's not needed. All you need to know is grain absorption, boil off and trub left behind. Sounds like you got the last 2 down , so do the math and brew.

Latest posts

Back