water report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llgriffin

Reaction score
Hey guys i got a water report for my area, i don't know much about how to read it, does the water look ok for general brewing?
hopefully the attachment is readable..

Untitled.jpg

I'm no water expert. If you posted in the brew science forum you'd get the best advice from Martin and AJ in my opinion. Not sure if they will see this post. I think you said in a different thread you partial mash and you like pale beers. I think you need to look at your mash ph. The water is already over 8. You should shoot for 5.2 to 5.6. You alkalinity is too high to get down that low in your mash without acid malt or acid I think. Other than that I think your other minerals shouldn't be a problem. I only looked at calcium, magnesium, sulfate, chloride and sodium. Not sure what effect some of the others would have if any. But look into your mash ph and alkalinity. If you brew darker beers you have a source for alkalinity. Darker grains will bring your mash ph lower than lighter grains. There are spreadsheets out there you can play with to estimate your acid additions and evaluate brewing mineral additions. I use brun' water. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back