Water Profile for Poland Springs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TyGuy716

Reaction score
I'm going to be doing an all grain brew fairly soon and I think I read something about having to adjust water profile for all grains. It said something along the lines that extracts have additives to adjust water profiles so I never worried about water profile prior to this.

Either way I'm clueless on water profile stuff so I was wondering if anyone knows the profile for Poland Springs and what beers would be best to brew using Poland Spring water.

Thanks in advance.

I used Poland Spring and Walmart spring water for all grain with no adjustments, and the brews came out fine. Very good, in fact. They were American Pale Ales.

If you googled for Poland Spring water analysis report you might have found a link to their 2010 report. Page 4 has the mineral analysis. It looks soft with few minerals.

Some people suggest adding a teaspoon (and no more) of calcium chloride per 5 gallons to bring up the calcium. An analysis of our tap water showed it was rather soft. I added 1 tsp of CaCl when making an English porter and English ordinary bitter.

I used Poland Spring and Walmart spring water for all grain with no adjustments, and the brews came out fine. Very good, in fact. They were American Pale Ales.

If you googled for Poland Spring water analysis report you might have found a link to their 2010 report. Page 4 has the mineral analysis. It looks soft with few minerals.

Some people suggest adding a teaspoon (and no more) of calcium chloride per 5 gallons to bring up the calcium. An analysis of our tap water showed it was rather soft. I added 1 tsp of CaCl when making an English porter and English ordinary bitter.

Exactly what I do. My tap water was giving me some off flavors. Though my water test results weren't bad. I've been using spring water with either no adjustments or a little calcium and my beers have been much better. I actually just brewed an APA on Sunday with spring water and no adjustments.

I'm going to be brewing a stout for my first AG.
Again I don't know much about water profile but based on Oyster Stouts giving (I thought) calcium to the brew should I add calcium to my brew as well?

Latest posts

Back