Water instead of glycol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoengine

Whale Noun Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am picking up a jacketed fermentor, and I also got a 5 gal coleman water cooler, an aquarium pump and an aquarium heater. Reason being, I ferment in the garage and this time of year I will be warming instead of cooling.

My question is, is there any issues with using straight water in the jacket? Would that cause any electrolysis issues or damage of any kind to stainless?

My question is, is there any issues with using straight water in the jacket? Would that cause any electrolysis issues or damage of any kind to stainless?
No but microbial and/or vegetative fouling does become an issue at the temperatures you'l be keeping the water at.

Not really. Personally I'd use some iodophor but the drawback is you'll have to keep topping it up as it becomes inactive. Alternately change the water frequently.

Considering it'll be swapped any time I finish a fermentation, I am thinking using RO water should be pretty safe. Once warmer temps roll around though I'll have to have another solution in place.

Back