Water inside stainless steel 50ft wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veronis

Reaction score
After using my wort chiller, should I do anything about the water remaining inside? Or is it simply not an issue since this water doesn't come in contact with the wort?

My wort chiller is large and the coils are tightly-packed; it doesn't really drain when I turn it upside down. The smaller ones seem easier to empty.

I have this one: http://www.nybrewsupply.com/stainless-steel-wort-chiller-38-x-50.html

Don't worry about it, unless you leave it somewhere that it can freeze.

I blow mine out by holding it upside down and blowing into the end that is higher. Freezing is a concern, but more importantly, if there is water in the chiller and you place it in your boiling wort.....a jet of scalding water will shoot out of the ends and make a mess. Plus (and more importantly), it can cause some serious burns. This is from experience.

When you are done chilling, disconnect the hose and let the outlet hang down. The chiller will siphon itself empty. This will also help you pick it out of the wort because it will be lighter.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. This is all very helpful.

When you are done chilling, disconnect the hose and let the outlet hang down. The chiller will siphon itself empty. This will also help you pick it out of the wort because it will be lighter.

Do you mean disconnect the hose from the sink, hold the sink-end-up, and let it drain out the other side? I didn't know that even with all those coils it could still do a full siphon until empty.

If this isn't what you meant, could you please clarify?

I blow mine out by holding it upside down and blowing into the end that is higher. Freezing is a concern, but more importantly, if there is water in the chiller and you place it in your boiling wort.....a jet of scalding water will shoot out of the ends and make a mess. Plus (and more importantly), it can cause some serious burns. This is from experience.

I will 2nd this. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL. I actually had boiling hot water spray across my face from an unsecured outlet hose!

To get water out of the coil, just blow it out with an air compressor. Or don't worry about it, it's not going to be in contact with your wort. :)

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. This is all very helpful.

Do you mean disconnect the hose from the sink, hold the sink-end-up, and let it drain out the other side? I didn't know that even with all those coils it could still do a full siphon until empty.

If this isn't what you meant, could you please clarify?

I brew outside. I have one side of the chiller hooked up to the hose, and the other side has 5 feet of hose on it that drains the hot water into a bucket (or just the ground). When I am ready to finish, I drop the 'out' hose down to the ground, and then disconnect the 'in' from the garden hose and hold it up. This starts a siphon based on the hose that is drooped down to the ground. It will siphon all the water out of the chiller. I actually have to do this because if I try to pull my chiller up out of the wort by the hoses, the coils would bend if it was full. When it's empty, it's actually kind of buoyant.

Since it's winter, I put one end on my sink in my washroom, and then the drain hose in my laundry washer and do a load of wash when it's full :D Cooling down a 5 gallon batch fills up my washer and more.

Latest posts

Back