Water help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I'm trying to brew the "generic west coast IPA" from this months byo. I brew biab and need to treat 9 gallons of RO water.
What and when do I add it?
14lbs of pilsner (what I have on hand)
1.75 lbs of crystal

Attachments

• PXL_20210902_172008386.jpg
    PXL_20210902_172008386.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
Have you tried using Brewer's Friend? It's free software with a water calculator that tells you exactly how much of each salt is needed for your goal

Having sufficient sulfate in the treated water is a hallmark of a west coast IPA. The exact level of sulfate is often a personal preference. I like bringing sulfate to around 300 ppm, but it's not for everyone. However, I do recommend that you add at least 100 ppm sulfate in order to get you in the ballpark. Be careful when adding a lot of calcium salts to RO water since that can result in the pH of the mash falling lower than desirable. I recommend you read the Water Knowledge page on the Bru'n Water site to understand what you're doing with water additions and why you're doing it.

Back