Water for California Common

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colbizle

Reaction score
I'm brewing a cali common later this week for an NHC entry. BJCP guidelines states: "Water should have relatively low sulfate and low to moderate carbonate levels."

So targeting the amber balanced profile with mineral adjustments and lowering the bicarbonate I can hit a target mash PH of 5.4.

Does this look ok? I guess my question is, is the amber balanced profile a good target for California common? Or would the amber bitter be a better profile? What is considered low sulfate? 80s or low 100s?

Starting water profile:
Calcium 25
Magnesium 3.8
Sodium 14
Sulfate 26
Chloride 30
Avg. Alk (CaCO3) 45
Bicarb (HCO3) 51
Avg. pH 9

Finished water profile:
Calcium 56
Magnesium 10
Sodium 14
Sulfate 81
Chloride 63
Alk (CaCO3) 39
Bicarb (HCO3) 47.5
Mash PH 5.4

SO4/CL: 1.3

I think your starting water is a decent candidate for a Cali Common. I'm not really sure you have to bump it up. The alkalinity will need to go down some if you aren't adding the calcium salts. Be sure to get the mash pH to about 5.4 or slightly less.

I think your starting water is a decent candidate for a Cali Common. I'm not really sure you have to bump it up. The alkalinity will need to go down some if you aren't adding the calcium salts. Be sure to get the mash pH to about 5.4 or slightly less.

Thanks Martin.

Would you prefer a mash PH of 5.3 or 5.4 for this style?

Thanks!

Back