Water connection to chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owentp

Reaction score
I'm thinking of hooking up a dedicated supply & drain line to my plate chiller using pex tubing. I know the lower psi rating the heat limit is 180 F. Wondering if anybody has used this & how the pex held up to the run off water heat which I assume initially is nearer to 190-200 F at first.

You'll be fine with pex. Because it's not rated for those high temps doesn't mean for the little time it will see these temps that it won't work. Besides there is no back pressure after the chiller and it's being under pressure that causes the issues. Personally I would just put cam locks on your hoses and chiller and coil them up when done. I use the warm chiller water to cycle thru my equipment - then to a drain going outside.

Go for it. The water isn't touching your beer so who cares if there is a momentary spike above the rated temperature.

I've done a lot of plumbing work with plex and it is simple and easy to work with.

Just do it.

I have helped replumb a whole house with pex... as long as the first 15" or so of plumbing from the hot side of the hot water tank is brass or copper it passes code and works just fine around here..
What most people cant seem to grasp is the fact that Water from a hot water tank (and even tankless systems) is NOT designed to be potable water... If you have ever drained an old hot water tank you know what I mean ... they are full of heavy minerals, silt and sand which the water sits in
also many tankless heaters use leaded solder and brass in construction which can break down in the water and the high operating temps... mine has a warning label right on it! People who cook or brew with hot water from a regular hot water tank are usually ignorant of this.

All that said the cooling water for a chiller does not get that hot... at least mine doesnt...

I have helped replumb a whole house with pex... as long as the first 15" or so of plumbing from the hot side of the hot water tank is brass or copper it passes code and works just fine around here..
What most people cant seem to grasp is the fact that Water from a hot water tank (and even tankless systems) is NOT designed to be potable water... If you have ever drained an old hot water tank you know what I mean ... they are full of heavy minerals, silt and sand which the water sits in
also many tankless heaters use leaded solder and brass in construction which can break down in the water and the high operating temps... mine has a warning label right on it! People who cook or brew with hot water from a regular hot water tank are usually ignorant of this.

All that said the cooling water for a chiller does not get that hot... at least mine doesnt...

I am unaware of any domestic or commercial water heater for sale now that has any lead solder used in construction. The crap in the bottom of a water heater is from your water and has nothing to do with it being potable. Not sure of building codes where you are, but around here with private wells your water has to pass tests for potability to get a residency permit. So I am confused by your comments.

I am unaware of any domestic or commercial water heater for sale now that has any lead solder used in construction. The crap in the bottom of a water heater is from your water and has nothing to do with it being potable. Not sure of building codes where you are, but around here with private wells your water has to pass tests for potability to get a residency permit. So I am confused by your comments.

Well first off your comment assumes that everyone has a brand new hot water tank... not the case right? and yes there are tankless systems with leaded solder still sold as most are mainly built and marketed for other country's with less requirements than the US.
the ones at home depot might meet standards today but what about one bought 5 or 10 years ago?

What I am saying is while the water going into the hot water tank is potable once it sits in the tank its exposed to the rust ,minerals and silt that accumulates in MOST hot water tanks regardless of whether you live in a city or in the sticks and use well water. after this it will pick up the heavy metals from the bottom of the tank. and the plumbing.

I have had aquariums much of my life and it common knowledge not to use any tap water from the hot side for these same reasons..

my tankless hot water heater is 4 years old and states that it is NOT to be used for potable water...

Here is something I just found with a quick google search

"The main concern here is lead. Government agencies are generally in very strong agreement that one should NOT use hot tap water for cooking or drinking for this reason.

From the CDC: "In all situations, drink or cook only with water that comes out of the tap cold. Water that comes out of the tap warm or hot can contain much higher levels of lead. Boiling this water will NOT reduce the amount of lead in your water."
From the EPA: "Only Use Cold Water for Consumption: Use only water from the cold-water tap for drinking, cooking, and especially for making baby formula. Hot water is likely to contain higher levels of lead. The two actions recommended above [i.e., "flushing" water lines with fresh water and using only cold water] are very important to the health of your family. They will probably be effective in reducing lead levels because most of the lead in household water usually comes from the plumbing in your house, not from the local water supply."
From a New York Times article on the subject: "Lead is rarely found in source water, but can enter it through corroded plumbing. The Environmental Protection Agency says that older homes are more likely to have lead pipes and fixtures, but that even newer plumbing advertised as “lead-free” can still contain as much as 8 percent lead. A study published in The Journal of Environmental Health in 2002 found that tap water represented 14 to 20 percent of total lead exposure."

The links have more information, but in general be aware that one does NOT need to have an old house with lead pipes for this to be a concern. Soldering in newer pipes can also contain lead which will leach into hot water much faster than cold. I think the CDC and EPA are probably being a little overly cautious here, but unless you've actually tested the water from your faucets for contaminant levels, it may be best to err on the side of caution and let the water run cold first from the tap before getting water for drinking or cooking (particularly when small children or pregnant women are involved)."

Ironically hot water tanks can also be sources of bacteria if the temps arent sufficient to kill it all off..

Well first off your comment assumes that everyone has a brand new hot water tank... not the case right? and yes there are tankless systems with leaded solder still sold as most are mainly built and marketed for other country's with less requirements than the US.

my tankless hot water heater is 4 years old and states that it is NOT to be used for potable water...

Ironically hot water tanks can also be sources of bacteria if the temps arent sufficient to kill it all off..

OK, granted I didn't take into account water heaters over 25 years old. Use of lead solder was restricted in 1986. We are splitting hairs here especially on tank less system, where leaching is technically non existent. Your tankless heater may state not to drink or use hot water for cooking - but that does not mean there is danger - it's just called companies practicing the CYA standard in today's hypothetical world.

OK, granted I didn't take into account water heaters over 25 years old. Use of lead solder was restricted in 1986. We are splitting hairs here especially on tank less system, where leaching is technically non existent. Your tankless heater may state not to drink or use hot water for cooking - but that does not mean there is danger - it's just called companies practicing the CYA standard in today's hypothetical world.
I see what your saying but its still not a good idea for a number of other reasons.

The hot water is actually more likely to extract the heavy metals out of the copper plumbings/ solder joints often found in a house built before 1986 as well.

And it acts as a giant trap/holding tank for any of the contaminants that make their way into the tank through the water supply.
why drink or consume all the additional metals if you dont have to? and then theres the fact that tanks that arent glass lined are usually galvanized steel.... would you use uncoated galvanized steel pots and drinking cups?

Have you ever seen the conditions that the water sits in inside a hot water tank?
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=i...ank&ei=znDOVOy0B8WzggSMqYKoDw&ved=0CAkQ9C8wAA
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaFt9rCzsyY[/ame]

Lime-on-10-Year-Old-Tank-226x300.jpg

I see what your saying but its still not a good idea for a number of other reasons.

Have you ever seen the conditions that the water sits in inside a hot water tank?

Can't say I have ever looked into a tank. Living and growing up in the country, I have looked into my share of shallow dug wells. Trust me - what comes out of the cold side is even worse at times. I grew up with lead water pipe from the well to the 1769 Colonial. Today the only copper pipe I have is 4 feet - running from the pump to the distribution panel. The rest is PEX.

How did we get so sidetracked from the original post?

Sorry for the hijack

Latest posts

Back