Water Based Bergomot Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queequeg

Reaction score
I recently bought some Bergomot extract (in water not oil). I smell is knock out, really intense, much more than fresh earl grey tea.

I was going to use it in an IPA but now I am thinking using it in a single hop pale ale, replacing the dry hop completely with Bergomot.

Any suggestions of which hops, I was thinking probably cascade or Amarillo with a simple grain will of pale malt, with a touch of wheat and crystal.

I also have some Yuzu powder, so I might split the batch and dry hop one with Bergomot and the other with Yuzu.

Anybody tried anything similar?

I would try Sorachi Ace, to complement the lemony-ness of bergomot.

Fantastic idea, btw.

Good idea, I have never use Sorachi Ace but have drunk a few. I think the herbal component will compliment the herbal dimension of the Bergamot too. Yuzu will probably go well to.

I was wondering how this turned out? I just had a vial of WLP564 arrive on my doorstep and I was thinking of adding 1/2 ounce of early grey at flame out to a saison.

I didn't you the extract in the end. Though it was supposedly water based it was why to oily. It was intense smelling though.

I used lemon drop and Yuzu peel, which worked nicely but the Yuzu adds a metallic quality.

Sorry not very helpfull.

Back