Water Analysis/Filtration Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strange_Brew

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I am looking for some help in determining what kind of filtration I might need. For example would a whole house carbon filtration system be adequate or is a RO required? Also if anyone sees anything glaring in the numbers. I am looking to make most styles of ale except light lagers and pilsners, although I could see attempting a pilsner down the road, so I wouldn't want to rule that out completely. Here is my water report from Ward Labs: The water is supplied via municipal well. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!

pH 7.6
Total Dissolved Solids (Est.ppm) 401

Below Values are in ppm

Sodium, Na .......................26
Potassium, K ....................7
Calcium, Ca.......................97
Magnesium, Mg..................19
Total Hardness, CaCO3........322
Nitrate, NO3-N...................<0.1 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S...................27
Chloride Cl..........................28
Carbonate, CO3................< 1
Bicarbonate, HCO3...............323
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3.........265
Total Phosphorus, P ............0.41
Total Iron ..........................0.18

This water is hard, alkaline and contains iron at a level generally considered to be higher than desirable for brewing. No filter is going to fix any of those. A softener, which I'd guess you already have, followed by an RO unit will give you the greatest flexibility and freedom from worry about variation but there are other approaches you can take.

Thanks very much for the reply.
This is actually in a building we recently acquired and we are wanting to turn it in to a small brewhouse. There is currently no water softener or any other treatment on premise. So we are prepared to get one if needed. Do you think the softener/RO is the best way? What are the other options? Also, I figured the iron level was high, but I am curious what the generally acceptable levels of iron in water for brewing are.

Thanks very much for the reply.
This is actually in a building we recently acquired and we are wanting to turn it in to a small brewhouse. There is currently no water softener or any other treatment on premise. So we are prepared to get one if needed. Do you think the softener/RO is the best way?

Personally, yes as you get the same thing (plus or minus very minor variations) even though the source water parameters change appreciably and you can tailor the water exactly to your requirements for each brew by simple salt additions.

What are the other options?
The alternative is to treat the water to decarbonate it. This can be done by heating or adding lime (which simultaneously removes hardness) or addig acid (which leaves the hardness and replaces bicarbonate with the cation of the acid).

Also, I figured the iron level was high, but I am curious what the generally acceptable levels of iron in water for brewing are.

EPA has a secondary MCL of 0.3 mg/L for iron but most brewing texts advise keeping it below 0.1 mg/L

Great info. Thanks! Looks like my iron is very high indeed. Glad I have held off even taking a drink from the tap! I plan to pursue the softener/RO route. Thanks again!

Back