Water. AGAIN :-)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mona

Reaction score
I know that there are many topics about water. Along with the topics are many opinions. However I have not found what I need from any of the lord knows how many I have read. Here is my story.
My house water is horrible. I do not drink it so therefore will not brew with it. I have chosen to go the route of purchasing bottled water. I am getting Primo since buying in bulk is much cheaper. According to Primo it goes through charcoal filters and then RO. I would like to know exactly what I should add to this type of water to get the best results for all grain. Can somebody please help me with this?

Prost!

Water additions have a lot to do with what style you intend to brew. I like to consult Brewers friend water calculator. I have started using distilled water and building the water to suit each brew. Here is the link if you want to check it out. It has a good primer on water chemistry as well.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/water-chemistry/

Water additions have a lot to do with what style you intend to brew. I like to consult Brewers friend water calculator. I have started using distilled water and building the water to suit each brew. Here is the link if you want to check it out. It has a good primer on water chemistry as well.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/water-chemistry/
But see this is where I come into a problem. I do not know anything about this water so I can not use a calculator like you suggest or Bru', Water.
I was hoping that somebody out here in brew world will have an idea on the water chemistry for a bottled water that has been RO.

If it is RO water I think it is safe to assume that it has zero minerals in it. At least that is what i do. So you can use water calculators like bru'n water, EZ water and the like.

If it is RO water I think it is safe to assume that it has zero minerals in it. At least that is what i do. So you can use water calculators like bru'n water, EZ water and the like.
OK. Lets assume that I want to a pilsen (light Lager). Using Brewers Friend I just hit update target and leave the source minerals at 0.
It gives me the target minerals and the difference. So of course i am low on everything because I start at 0. what do I put in to get Ca2, Mg2,So42 Na, CI, HCO3 and how to get the alkalinity to -20?

Just follow the primer linked above - add a half teaspoon of CaCl to each 5 gallons, and use aciduated malt for 3% of your grist.

ETA: The Primer really is a great way to start getting into this. It does a great job of explaining the basics. once you get the hang of using the primer, then read Palmer's Water book.

Latest posts

Back