Water absorption

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narl79

Reaction score
Hey guys im sorry for a question I know has been answered but I cant find the thread. Im all grain and need to know how much water per pound is absorbed to do my nect batch. I dont have beer smith or anything and would like the answer saved on my page. Thanks to any responses.

No I use a cooler for a tun. And I totally missed my last batch by 2 gallons im assuming because of absorption. Does the type of grain have anything to due with absorption?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

I'm not sure what kind of system you use, but if you batch sparge you can calculate the answer by just mashing in with the appropriate amount of water (I use a 1.25Q to LB ratio) and then draining the mt completely. How much volume of wort you have subtracted from how much water went in divided by the number of lbs in the grainbill is your answer. If you flysparge it won't matter too much, just heat enough water and sparge til you hit your volume.

Hey guys im sorry for a question I know has been answered but I cant find the thread. Im all grain and need to know how much water per pound is absorbed to do my nect batch. I dont have beer smith or anything and would like the answer saved on my page. Thanks to any responses.

Narl, I batch sparge and average .5qt per pound of grain. What I have read around here that is the average with most.

Yes it does depend on some types of grain, although a good general rule of thumb is the 0.12 gal per pound (0.5 qt/#)

Back