Wasting whirlfloc tablets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SGTSparty

Reaction score
Hey all, I've been brewing for a while now but I feel like this is a newb question. I've been using whirlfloc tablets for my last 10 or so brews to try and aid in my quest for clearer beers. But it dawned on me Monday as I was transferring my wort to primary that since I don't have a pickup tube, don't whirlpool and dump the entire contents of the BK through a double mesh strainer is the whirlfloc tablet really worth it?

My initial thought was, well probably, if the tablet gets all the extra junk to drop out then the strainer will catch more right? But since I'm not that familiar with the science behind the whirlfloc tablet I was curious if the strainer would catch all that gunk anyways and the tablet is just redundant?

Any comments would be appreciated.

That "extra junk" has no ill effect going into the fermenter.I suck up every bit of the nastiness.It all settles out in the fementer and leaves me more beer than if I left it in the BK.I stopped using Irish moss altogether for this reason

Yeah I get that opinion. I run it through the strainer mainly because its my primary means of aeration, long drop from my BK port through a double mesh strainer into a bucket does wonders for aeration. I also ferment in bottling buckets and transfer to my keg via the spigot. I know a lot of people don't but I do. It means since I don't use a racking cane the more trub I have the more ends up in my keg so while it may not hurt the beer in any way I'd rather keep it out of my primary/only fermentation vessel so it doesn't end up in my glass.

The whirlfloc binds haze causing particles chemically, helping them precipitate as break material. That bonded material shouldn't return to solution after is precipitates, not a lot of it anyway. So even if all the gunk goes into the fermenter it will still settle out, and if you strain it's going to give you more gunk to strain out.

I do not think its wasted at all. I use whirfloc in all beers except stouts and porters, or any beer darker than say 28-30 srm (what's the point?).

Back