Wasn't there a "My first lager" sticky?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gr8shandini

Reaction score
Well, I finally got around to buying a new kegerator and a temperature controller for the old fridge, so now I don't have any excuse not to brew up some lagers in time for Oktoberfest. The question I had is what should I set the temperature at? I know ales typically ferment 5 degrees or so above ambient temps, but I'm guessing that this effect is less pronounced with a slower lager fermentation.

Or am I wrong in that assumption? Any other advice would be welcome as well.

I used WLP830 on my Oktoberfest and fermented at 49F (verified by thermowell and temp controller). Too early to tell as I'm just now about to start the lagering phase but the sample was pretty clean coming off of primary and a two day diacetyl rest at 59F. I did quite a bit of research on this forum and other literature previous but YMMV...

I guess I didn't state that clearly enough. If the strain I choose has an optimal temperature of say 49F, do I need to set the ambient temp to 44 to counteract the heat created by fermentation, or does ambient temp pretty much equal beer temp in the case of lagers?

I guess I didn't state that clearly enough. If the strain I choose has an optimal temperature of say 49F, do I need to set the ambient temp to 44 to counteract the heat created by fermentation, or does ambient temp pretty much equal beer temp in the case of lagers?

Ah, If I want to ferment at 50f, i'll set my controller to 49 with a 2 degree difference, it will stay within a degree of 50F. I just tape the probe to the carboy side.

_

Not sure about your setup but I'd invest in a temp controller and thermowell stopper so you aren't guessing at the temp of your actual fermentation. If using a freezer, temps can swing pretty quickly from what I've seen. If you can't swing that, taping the temp probe of your controller to the side of your carboy and wrapping that in foam or other insulation will get you close enough - but a temp controller is a must IMO without some very close monitoring.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I bought the Johnson Controls A419. It should be arriving shortly, so I'll take a look and see if the probe is waterproof. If so, I certainly don't have a problem sanitizing it and dunking it in the beer.

I'm unfamiliar with the thermowell stopper, though. I assume that's for a carboy, right? I'm planning on using buckets, so I guess I'll have to drill another hole in the lid for the temp probe.

Latest posts

Back