Washed Yeast Pic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwjames47

Reaction score
Here is a pic of some US-05 I washed from primary. The brew was an Amber Ale. I have washed it twice with sterilized water and kept in the fridge total time since harvest is 4 days. I have three distinct layers that have settled out. A white creamy layer sandwiched between to brown layers. Do I need to wash this again and let it settle, or pour off the top settled layer or use just the white creamy layer. I assume the bottom layer is just trub and other junk. I am not sure about the top layer or white creamy layer. Those are 24 oz. jars.
Thanks, Greg

http://s1110.photobucket.com/albums/h448/gwjames47/?action=view&current=washedyeast.jpg

You probably should have waited longer before you decanted into these jars so you got less trub.

You have enough yeast in those jars that you could make starters out of them. I wouldn't mess with washing it again. Just top up the jars with clean water so there is less airspace.

You probably should have waited longer before you decanted into these jars so you got less trub.

You have enough yeast in those jars that you could make starters out of them. I wouldn't mess with washing it again. Just top up the jars with clean water so there is less airspace.

Thanks, still not sure what I am looking at though. I filled these two jars directly from my primary after pouring about a pint of sterilized water into my primary and swishing it around to get as much of the yeast and trub into suspension as I could. I then filled these two 24oz. jars to the top with the resulting mixture and placed them in the fridge, about 36 hrs. later I poured off the beer on the top replaced it with sterilized water and repeated the process once again giving them a good shake. So now I have three distinct layers on the bottom. I am trying to determine if the top brownish layer is yeast or the second creamy white layer is yeast. I assume the bottom layer is junk.

GWJ

the middle layer is the yeast

Thanks, I thought that was the yeast, but since this is the first time I have done this I just wasn't 100% sure. I do think on my next harvest I will let it set in my jars for a few days before pouring off the beer and rewashing.

GWJ

Did you read the yeast washing thread stickied to the top of this section of the forum? It takes you step by step on how to wash yeast.

Back