Warrior Apollo Columbus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mqduva

Reaction score
Just brewed my 75th gallon of 2016 and it was the first one I really wasn't a fan of. Trying to figure out where I went wrong which could be as simple as I didn't use any aroma hops. Nothing wrong as far as contamination goes, hit all my temps perfect.
Feedback please. So here is my recipe:

10lbs two row pale
2 lbs Vienna
2 lbs Munich
1 lb white wheat
1 lb flaked oats
Mashed at 154 for 60 mins

2 oz of Warrior @ 60
2 oz of Apollo @30
4 oz of Columbus @ 10

yeast was Mangrove Jacks West Coast (first time using)

I would say you're heavy on the 60 minute addition. .75 ounce of warrior at 60 minutes or 1oz at FWH. I would move the Apollo and Columbus to a whirlpool and then also dry hop with about 4-6 ounces as well.

Those are pretty dank hops you've selected.

Thanks for the input. And the beer is quite dank and bitter!

I used 2 oz of Citra at 60 last beer and it was great. But it must have been balanced out by 2 oz of Mosaic at 30 and 1 oz Amarillo at flameout. Also dry hopped with Cascade.

Yeah boiled the hops too long. Not much point 30 minute hop additions for an IPA.

Thanks for the input. And the beer is quite dank and bitter!

I used 2 oz of Citra at 60 last beer and it was great. But it must have been balanced out by 2 oz of Mosaic at 30 and 1 oz Amarillo at flameout. Also dry hopped with Cascade.

It looks bitter indeed. That recipe is easily 200 IBU

That looks like a really bitter beer! Apollo and Columbus can get you a lot of pungent dank aroma and quite a bit of grapefruit too if you would have used them in a dry hop and hop stand. I'd have moved your 30 and 10 minute additions to a hop stand and dry hop if you were to brew this again. Just my 2 cents!

Back