Wanting to make an ale to showcase Northern Brewer hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBF

Reaction score
So here's what happened, recently I had a lager that was made to showcase Northern Brewer hops and it was wonderful. Don't remember who made it, but it was light and refreshing. Northern Brewer hops have been one of my go-to hops, so I'd like to make something along the same lines. I do remember that it was described as a Mexican style lager.

Now, here's the catch. I don't have the gear to brew lagers, so I want to do an ale of some type. I also don't like IPAs. Did a little poking around for a recipe, but I've found a lot of IPA brews and that's not what I'm after. I just don't really know where to start with a recipe like this, most of what I've done is Belgians, Ambers, Porters and Stouts.

You could do a California Lager aka Steam Beer with Northern Brewer hops. They are quite tasty!

Use a yeast like Mangrove Jacks Californian Lager or Wyeast 2112 and you can ferment it at ale temps.

You could do a California Lager aka Steam Beer with Northern Brewer hops. They are quite tasty!

Use a yeast like Mangrove Jacks Californian Lager or Wyeast 2112 and you can ferment it at ale temps.

+1!!

A staple at my house is the California common/steam beer with all NB hops. Simple malt bill lets them shine.

I use wlp810, San Francisco lager yeast at 62-64°.

My go to malt is usually Marris Otter, but I'm not sure how appropriate that would be for something like this.

Any recommendations on doing a California Common?

My basement runs around 64-66 this time of year...

I've been brewing this recipe a lot this year; making very minor changes while I dial in my process. It's not any particular category; probably an out-of-style Kolsch or a "Helles Export Ale". Just use your Northern Brewer hops instead of Mt Hood, and adjust the first addition to keep the bitterness in the mid twenties. I do a single infusion mash for an hour that starts at 150° and probably drops to 148° by the time it's done.

German Pale Ale

Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 4 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.042
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

Original Gravity: 1.053
Final Gravity: 1.009
ABV (standard): 5.71%
IBU (tinseth): 22.15
SRM (morey): 4.69

INGREDIENTS:
6.5 lb - Belgian Pilsner (83.9%)
1 lb - American Munich 10L (12.9%)
4 oz - German Acid Malt (3.2%)
1 oz - Mount Hood, AA: 5, Boil for 30 min, IBU: 19.61
0.5 oz - Mount Hood, AA: 5, Boil for 5 min, IBU: 2.54

0.5 tsp - Calcium Chloride, Type: Water Agt, Use: Mash
0.5 tsp - Gypsum, Type: Water Agt, Use: Mash

Fermentis German Ale Yeast K-97

My go to malt is usually Marris Otter, but I'm not sure how appropriate that would be for something like this.

Any recommendations on doing a California Common?

My basement runs around 64-66 this time of year...

Here's my Cal Common recipe. I've brewed it 3 times and keep going back to it. Not to hoppy or malty. Just a solid beer! If you're sticking with Maris Otter, I would dial back a bit on the Munich and Victory so it's not too bready.

If you want to bring the temp down a few degrees, put your fermenter in a tub filled with water and drape a tshirt/towel over the top, switching out a couple frozen water bottles 2 times a day. I use this method for all of my beers that require "temp control" and it works well for me. Also, put a few drops of bleach or Starsan in the water to keep nasties from forming on the fermenter.

5 Gallons
OG Est 1.053
FG Est 1.013
35 IBUS

● 8lb 2 Row
● 0.75lb Crystal 40l
● 0.50lb Victory
● 0.50lb Light Munich 10l
Mash @ 154° F

● 0.5oz Northern Brewer @ 60
● 0.5oz Northern Brewer @ 15
● 1oz Northern Brewer @ 0 - 15 minute steep

Whirlfloc @ 15 minutes
Wyeast 2112 @ 61° F for 10 Days
Bottle condition 4 weeks @ 65° F

Yeah, I can see another 5 gal of this in my near future. I have 3.5ozs of Northern Brewer hops just begging to be used!

Back