Wanted to brew something a bit different...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRfromGR

Reaction score
Wanted to brew an "off the wall" Belgian Beer with enough hops to call it an IPA and well.... I don't know what to call it and need some help! The hops didn't come through like I had hoped so now if I call it an IPA I feel like I will be hog tied and horse whipped!

I was going for a hoppy Belgian IPA.

70lbs Pilsner Malt
65lbs Wheat Malt
15lbs Flaked Oats
8lbs Chateau Munich
5lbs Honey Malt
2lbs Vienna

14oz Bravo (60min)
4oz Galaxy (10min)
2oz Coriander (10min)
4oz Amarillo (5min)
8oz Sweet Orange Peel (5min)

T-58 Yeast

12oz Chinook (Dry hop 5 days)

ABV is 5.5% but the IBU's are off because the hops just aren't there. What do you guys think?

The Beer is surprisingly good! I was just using ingredients that I had on hand (which explains the oddity.) The problem is I don't know what category it falls into. What do you think? It certainly has hazy as you can imagine with all the wheat.

I was going to call it a White IPA but I would guess that the IBU's are only around 30. The recipe says that the beer should be around 63 IBU's. Could the coriander, orange, and yeast be masking the IBU's?

So, let me see if I understand this. You were trying for something off the wall and different. Seems like that means it's something new that you never tried before. Adding up the grain bill there comes out to 165 pounds of grain. Did you make 100 gallons of an experimental beer?

...I feel like I will be hog tied and horse whipped!

Some people might consider this a good thing?

It's probably better than being Horse-Tied and Hog-Whipped.

Anyway, I don't feel a beer has to neatly fit into a specific category to be a good beer, but I concur that it should at least be close whatever category you call it, so we shall begin with the brainstorming!

Maybe you could call it a "Lite Belgian IPA"?

Or, "Funky GR".

Oh, darn, my boss just came in here to ask me to set up a printer. It's for him, so I better get on it. Sigh.

The IBU range is in the upper range for a Belgian Pale Ale. Seems like the fruit choices are within that style as well as the pilsner malt. You've brewed some sort of cross between a Belgian Pale Ale and a Wheat ale as far as I can tell.

"Wheaty Belgian"

It reminds me of Blue Moon to a certain extent. Perhaps a Belgian Wit may be more fitting?

So, let me see if I understand this. You were trying for something off the wall and different. Seems like that means it's something new that you never tried before. Adding up the grain bill there comes out to 165 pounds of grain. Did you make 100 gallons of an experimental beer?
Indeed! It is a 2.5 BBL system and we were going for a Belgian White IPA. If the IBU's were their it would have been exactly what we wanted.

Given the ~ 80 gallon volume, looks more like a witbeer to me. The hopping levels don't really yell out "IPA", especially the dry hops.

Ha, 165lb of grain, 12oz dry hop, "the hops didn't come through". I'm presuming this is the same person that posted about the "110 pounds of pilsener".

Ha, 165lb of grain, 12oz dry hop, "the hops didn't come through". I'm presuming this is the same person that posted about the "110 pounds of pilsener".

14oz Bravo (60min)
4oz Galaxy (10min)
4oz Amarillo (5min)

12oz Chinook (Dry Hop)

little more than just 12oz of hops.

My standard NEIPA recipe is 6-7oz of hops in a 5 gallon batch. 3oz flameout 3oz dry hop. Doesn't seem like those amounts quite scale up to what I'd expect. But I don't do large batches, so what do I know.

Back