Want to take my beer to the next level

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LakeMonster

Reaction score
How can I improve my results? I've been brewing for a year or two but am generally self-taught and I'm sure there are things I've missed. I've never had an undrinkable batch, but many come out with a much darker color than they should and I don't very impressive results when I make my own recipes.

Can anybody offer advice or insight on the darker color issue or general wisdom in stepping from beginner quality beer to intermediate?

If you're using extracts, add about 20% at the start of the boil (for hop utilization) and the rest at 5-10 minutes left. That will cut down on the carmelization it sounds like your getting.

What do you do to control fermentation temps? A workable freezer/fridge rigged up the a controller (I like the STC-1000) will allow you to precisely control the fermentation temp. That, plus attention to chilling wort properly and pitching plenty of yeast, can be a quantum leap for the quality of your brews.

Check the recipe database here for good ideas.

Have you read a good homebrewing book or three? Papazian's third edition is out, and would repay your time. Ray Daniels's Designing Great Beers is good, too. For something more challenging, Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing is worth a look.

Color isn't everything. Nor is creating your own recipes. The key point is to make beer that you enjoy drinking. Mostly I brew existing recipes with small tweaks and let the color fall where it may.

Your next step, if you like, can be repeatability, or temperature control, or finding yeasts that you really like time after time, or kegging. Temperature control might give the highest payoff, and might require the construction of a fermentation chamber.

The two things that you can do to make your brews better...

Pitch the proper amount of healthy yeast

and control the fermentation temps.

Like BigFloyd mentioned the recipe database has a lot of very good recipes. Brew some of the more proven ones and work on getting good results.

agree on controlling fermentation temps. biggest improvement in my beers came from using a cool water bath to keep temps down

I'm basically where you're at; one year & 12 batches into brewing and wanting to step up my game

batch #11 is the first one I actually controlled the temperature and it turned out great. it was a re-brew of a previous batch, very little changed except for temperature control. even I can tell the difference and my palate is pretty much shot thanks to navy chow.

mine also turn out much darker than Beersmith says. for me, as long as I can turn out beers that taste good and there are other aspects of my brewing to work on, I can live with color problems for now

BigFloyd and the others have you pointed in the right direction - totally echo the need to pay attention to yeast health and fermentation temps. If you want to walk us through one of your recipes and brew process we might be able to come up with some additional recommendations.

I agree totally with everything said, leaning more towards ferment temp as being the single most important item.

Worst thing to ever happen to one of my beers was crazy fermentation temps.
Build a temp control fermentation chamber before spending cash on pots n burners.

Yup, to take your beers to the next level, you need:

- Fermentation temperature control
- Make yeast starters with stir plate
- Proper aeration/oxygenation
- Get water tested by Ward Labs, and download Bru'n Water and make water adjustments
- All-Grain brewing with full wort boils
- Proper boiling with a good burner
- If using tap water, use charcoal filter and Campden tablet to get rid of bad flavors and chlorination

Thanks everyone, this has been really helpful.

Unfortunately my current living space just isn't big enough for all-grain brewing, or a fermentation control set up. I do use a wort chiller but the fermenting carboy has to sit under the breakfast bar in the kitchen, no other place for it. If I could find a bucket just slightly larger in diameter than the carboy I'd try the wet t-shirt trick but I need that bucket first.

For the next batch I think i'm going to try:

-Using bottled gallons of water (5 gallon batches, so this is more than reasonable)
-More controlled adding of malt extract, as BigFloyd recommends
-Something to lift the brew pot slightly off the glass-top stove. The coloration was slightly better in my old apartment, where there was a gas stove. Any suggestions there? I've heard cookie cooling racks work but how do I know which ones will hold up?

Thanks again!

Thanks everyone, this has been really helpful.

Unfortunately my current living space just isn't big enough for all-grain brewing, or a fermentation control set up. I do use a wort chiller but the fermenting carboy has to sit under the breakfast bar in the kitchen, no other place for it. If I could find a bucket just slightly larger in diameter than the carboy I'd try the wet t-shirt trick but I need that bucket first.

For the next batch I think i'm going to try:

-Using bottled gallons of water (5 gallon batches, so this is more than reasonable)
-More controlled adding of malt extract, as BigFloyd recommends
-Something to lift the brew pot slightly off the glass-top stove. The coloration was slightly better in my old apartment, where there was a gas stove. Any suggestions there? I've heard cookie cooling racks work but how do I know which ones will hold up?

Thanks again!

I use a plastic storage bin bought at Wally World. I forget how big it is, but I can fit my 6.5 gallon ferment bucket on one side and swap out gallon milk jugs of ice next to it

and at any kitchen supply store, some kind of stove trivet will separate the boil kettle from the glass-top.

I use a plastic storage bin bought at Wally World. I forget how big it is, but I can fit my 6.5 gallon ferment bucket on one side and swap out gallon milk jugs of ice next to it

and at any kitchen supply store, some kind of stove trivet will separate the boil kettle from the glass-top.

+1. There are several methods by which you can lower ale ferment temps into the 60's. That's where they need to be for almost all ale yeast to have a good ferment and avoid off-flavors.

Please don't settle for simply sitting it aside somewhere at a 72-75*F. Do something. 10*F difference isn't much for us people, but it's huge for yeast cells.

We keep the AC set a little lower than that but I hear you. I'll see what I can find for small plastic bins to set the fermenter in for the next batch.

Back