Want to move to North Carolina

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewenstein

Reaction score
Title says it. I've always wanted to live in NC, but when I moved to IL (from central PA) to finish school, I did the one thing I swore I wouldn't do - met a girl from here and married her! We decided to stay in IL (western Chicago 'burbs) because her family is large and she couldn't imagine moving away. Life has been good here overall, but now that time has passed, we are reaching a point where a move might be made. Oldest daughter is in Pittsburgh going to grad school, and it is looking like she may stay there after graduating. Middle daughter is getting married next July and moving to Phoenix where her fiancé will be starting a job this January. Youngest daughter is out of cosmetology school and working. Our son is a junior in HS and is planning on college after graduation.

So....when he graduates and begins college, I think that this is the best time for us to make a move if we are ever going to move. I am a superintendent for a mid sized commercial general contractor in Chicago (approx. 100M in gross revenue). I think that the Raleigh-Durham area might be best for my line of work, or possibly Charlotte. My wife does home day care now, but if we move, I would want to be able to live on my income, and if she chooses to work, have that be extra money. We love the Outer Banks and would like to be able to visit once a month, so this also plays into the geography of where would live / work. The northern part of NC also puts us a little closer to my parents, sister and her family in PA.

And before anyone says it, I am not going to make my decision based on anyone's / everyone's answer(s) off of an internet forum. However, there are a vast number of good people on this board, and I value your opinions and judgment. Perhaps some have made this move, or one similar. What are the pros and cons? Can a northerner fit in? Would we be accepted? Especially me in my line of work?

If it matters, we would be 52 at the time of our move. Thanks in advance for those that answer.

There are certainly a lot worse places to live. Where are you planning in NC?

I moved to Charlotte NC after growing up in Vermont for my first 15 years so I was about as Northern as you can get. I have family in PA and NJ so I really was culture shocked from never being in the south at all. But people are generally pretty nice in NC, and easier to understand their speech than KY....

that is a great area. I had a GF for several years that went to Chapel Hill so I was in that area a lot. Theres plenty of great local breweries there too

I used to live in Greensboro NC and hated every minute of it.

NC is littered with the some of the most 'simple minded' people I've ever been around. Extremely ignorant on many fronts. Outwardly racist, religiously biased towards even their own denominations (their church is the ONLY church that practices correctly), never left the state, confederate flag in pick-up truck rednecks.

With that said, Raleigh (more specifically, Cary) is probably the nicest place in the state. Charlotte isn't too bad but is still fairly redneck.

^ thats how I felt until I moved to Kentucky for a job. You think theres a lot of bible thumpers in NC.....

NC is littered with the some of the most 'simple minded' people I've ever been around. Extremely ignorant on many fronts. Outwardly racist, religiously biased towards even their own denominations (their church is the ONLY church that practices correctly), never left the state, confederate flag in pick-up truck rednecks.

With that said, Raleigh (more specifically, Cary) is probably the nicest place in the state. Charlotte isn't too bad but is still fairly redneck.

How long did you live there? I grew up in the sticks of PA, so I am familiar with red necks. Although in my experience most of them are pretty decent people. Simple minded? Got plenty of them in IL too. Racist? I live near Chicago, and that racism goes both ways here. That plus a sense of entitlement. Can't even stand to watch the local news anymore.

The raleigh durham area is much more culturally open minded than most of NC due to the two big schools there

^three big schools if you include Duke University in Durham. The three big schools: NC State in Raleigh (Computer & Engineering), Duke in Durham (Medical and business), & UNC in Chapel Hill (Liberal arts?). This forms the so called Triangle with Research Triangle Park in the center.

There are probably more people from outside the state in this area than natives.

I'm actually a PA boy living in the mountains of NC. I've lived all over and I really love this part of Appalachia (you'll need to re-learn that pronunciation if you end up below the Mason-Dixson).

There can be some big challenges as a northerner living in the south, but the people really are great. Be prepared for prayer in situations you never would have thought prayer would be publicly acceptable. I'd say if you research the community, looking for an open minded and diverse community you'll be better served that just showing up otherwise it can take a long time for acceptance.

For work. I'd say it's like everywhere else, if you're good and have fair prices you'll do fine.

There's actually a huge movement of northerners that retired to FL that are moving to NC to get out of FL now. I don't really know why? They call them half-backers here.

And the state has a pretty good beer scene, but I still miss the beer distributors of PA. Every time I leave the store with a 12 pack of beer I feel like half a man. I'll never know why other states don't sell actuall cases of beer! Who wouldn't want a store that sells nothing but beer, lotto tickets and porkrind. (Porkrinds are better in NC!)

There's actually a huge movement of northerners that retired to FL that are moving to NC to get out of FL now. I don't really know why? They call them half-backers here.

half-backers? This is the first time I've heard that term. I guess they only made it half way back to the north. Interesting.

And the state has a pretty good beer scene, but I still miss the beer distributors of PA. Every time I leave the store with a 12 pack of beer I feel like half a man. I'll never know why other states don't sell actuall cases of beer! Who wouldn't want a store that sells nothing but beer, lotto tickets and porkrind. (Porkrinds are better in NC!)

This is the first time I've actually heard someone be complimentary of the beer distribution system of PA. All other states do sell cases of beer, PA is the only state that wont sell anything else! Nothing worse than having a case of PA microbrew, drink one, realize its a sh*t beer and having to gut through the rest of it. End Rant. I'm sure NC is a nice place to live...:tank:

Be prepared for prayer in situations you never would have thought prayer would be publicly acceptable.

Ha ha! We are Lutheran (Missouri Synod for those keeping score) and our kids went to a Lutheran day school from 3 year old pre-school through 8th grade. So all told, we had kids in the school for 18 years. I am so used to prayer before everything, that I start to bow my head before almost any type of meeting / game. So for us, that would actually be refreshing.

How long did you live there? I grew up in the sticks of PA, so I am familiar with red necks. Although in my experience most of them are pretty decent people. Simple minded? Got plenty of them in IL too. Racist? I live near Chicago, and that racism goes both ways here. That plus a sense of entitlement. Can't even stand to watch the local news anymore.

Lived there for 8 years. I was born in Chicago and still have family there... it's nowhere near as simple minded and racist as NC.

I wouldn't describe myself as being particularly religious so the constant prayer wasn't really of interest to me. I just thought it was very strange that the members of one Baptist church would be so negative towards another Baptist church because "they didn't practice the right way". Wasn't just the Baptists though, it was everyone. Only place i've ever been that was like that.

Some of these opinions are quite comical. Given my experience, I'd guess that a couple bad apples have ruined the whole NC bunch.

To OP, sounds like you've already decided where to live if you move to NC. What info are you seeking, exactly?

I will never share my beers with you now.

*eyeroll*

Lived there for 8 years. I was born in Chicago and still have family there... it's nowhere near as simple minded and racist as NC.

I wouldn't describe myself as being particularly religious so the constant prayer wasn't really of interest to me. I just thought it was very strange that the members of one Baptist church would be so negative towards another Baptist church because "they didn't practice the right way". Wasn't just the Baptists though, it was everyone. Only place i've ever been that was like that.

BE HEALED!:smack:

We have lived in Raleigh since '93. I grew up in New York.........No, not the city but in central NY around Syracuse. I also work in in and around the commercial construction industry.

The area and people are generally fantastic. As a general rule people are very friendly and not nearly as "guarded" I would say people from the North are. Yes I can say that, since I grew up there. The "triangle" area has a lot to offer. A lot a great breweries and any type of amenity you could possibly want. Every area has its nuances but its generally a great place to live. Relatively low taxes, great weather, mountains and the ocean easily within a half a days drive. A thriving economy now but It really was not great during the recession.

As far as the commercial construction industry goes, its definitely on an upswing. There are a lot of good companies that have a presence in the area, and from what I can see, need experienced people. Maybe the pay may not be quite as much but the cost of living will most likely be lower also.

As far as being a "yankee". Never had anything other than some good natured ribbing.

Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions. We love it here. Good luck.

Some of these opinions are quite comical. Given my experience, I'd guess that a couple bad apples have ruined the whole NC bunch.

To OP, sounds like you've already decided where to live if you move to NC. What info are you seeking, exactly?

I know that opinions will vary widely about any place. For the most part I believe that you will find what you seek / and who you are anywhere you go. And yes, the Raleigh - Durham - RTP is at the top of my list. Basically just looking for general info, people's experiences, etc.. As if we were all hanging out at the bar / man cave / keezer having a few beers and BSing about where we are from and where we may want to go.

I know that opinions will vary widely about any place. For the most part I believe that you will find what you seek / and who you are anywhere you go. And yes, the Raleigh - Durham - RTP is at the top of my list. Basically just looking for general info, people's experiences, etc.. As if we were all hanging out at the bar / man cave / keezer having a few beers and BSing about where we are from and where we may want to go.

Well, if you make it to the RDU area, maybe we can have a beer together sometime. Definitely some great people on this site from that area.

You could say the same for any state. I for one am glad you moved out. It's laughable you called Charlotte fairly redneck, it's the second largest banking center in the US. I guess we still barter with pelts and moonshine according to that logic.

I've lived in the Raleigh area for about twelve years. I was born in NC, and although I lived out of state for a while, I lived in Greensboro for 15 years and Fayetteville for 18. I can say without a doubt that the Raleigh area (including Cary and Durham) is by far the best place I've lived in NC.

The neighborhood where I live is full of northern transplants that have come south for some of the same reasons you mentioned. I believe they would all tell you that it's a good place to live and that the people in NC are friendly. I think you'd fit in well here.

I grew up in Mooresville and Troutman, just north of Charlotte and in the last 10-15 years that area has exploded with growth. The area around Lake Norman is nice, but expensive with the influx of new people moving to the area from outside the state as well as people moving out of Charlotte due to its growth. The towns between Charlotte and where I grew up, Huntersville and Davidson are still relatively small and have that small town feel. My dad built a few banks around Cary and that area was really nice too, but that was about 20 years ago so I'm sure it has grown up too since then. The Charlotte area is nice and puts you somewhat half way between the mountains and the beach.

You should get out more.

I've been around plenty. I've lived in 7 states and traveled to most at some point. Also done a decent amount of travel to Europe and South America as well.

My statements weren't meant to describe everyone in NC, just the general trend. As with anywhere, there is a wide spectrum of people. It's definitely different in the big cities vs the small towns. RDU area is a lot more hipster because of the academics, but it's also the nicest due to the number of businesses and it being the state capital. Charlotte is a big banking center and brings a lot to that city, but Charlotte is a big city and there is a lot more to it than banking.

I had a similar conversation with a coworker a few weeks ago who lives right by the airport in RDU and he agreed with all of my generalizations of NC except about the BBQ. I think it's the worst style in the country and he thought it was the best. That's a regional preference though, and one that is easily learned based on where you grow up.

We can disagree though. I'm fine with that.

I grew up in Mooresville and Troutman, just north of Charlotte and in the last 10-15 years that area has exploded with growth. The area around Lake Norman is nice, but expensive with the influx of new people moving to the area from outside the state as well as people moving out of Charlotte due to its growth. The towns between Charlotte and where I grew up, Huntersville and Davidson are still relatively small and have that small town feel. My dad built a few banks around Cary and that area was really nice too, but that was about 20 years ago so I'm sure it has grown up too since then. The Charlotte area is nice and puts you somewhat half way between the mountains and the beach.

I would 100% agree with this post. I am currently in Charlotte and about the only other place I would want to live is in Vermont if I could find a job making anywhere near what I make in Charlotte (not likely) or if I could start a brewery on my wifes family farm in VT (more likely than finding a job making what I make anywhere in VT).

I honestly can say I know more and work with more northern transplants these days than southerners (but then again, I work in IT for a large banking firm).
All of the former northerners love it here in the South. Charlotte has plenty of good paying jobs no matter what you do, it has some pretty solid craft breweries in and around the area (NoDa, OMB, Bird Song, Wicked Weed, etc.), heck, even Sierra Nevada has a one of the nicest breweries/tap rooms in the mountains of NC that you honestly have to experience to believe. Its beautiful.
The weather outside of the dead of summer with the humidity is also very nice.
Lots of fellow homebrewers are in the area (including myself and I love to have new brew buddies come over for a brew session), all "C" hops grow well here in this climate and gas is cheap.
There are also no unions to deal with so things get done without red tape for the most part.
There ARE some obnoxious rednecks from time to time to deal with, but there are obnoxious people no matter where you go so..

As previously mentioned, Charlotte is about 4 hours from the beach and 4 hours from some beautiful mountains. Best of both worlds.
Plus we have the undefeated (at least as of this posting) Carolina Panthers.
NC is a very nice place to live.
:rockin:

Thanks to all who replied. I appreciate it. Just need to sit down with my wife and make the decision. Or at least decide to look into it further. If/when we make it to NC for a visit, I'll let you know so that maybe those in the area we are can meet up for a beer somewhere. :mug:

I moved from the San Francisco Bay Area to Chapel Hill in 2002. Am currently in Apex (right next door to Cary, Raleigh & Chapel Hill), which was recently rated #1 place to live in the country by Money Magazine (http://time.com/money/3984379/apex-north-carolina-best-places-to-live-2015-2/). Of course, pick your periodical and near any place can be rated 'best'.

I'm in software and fled the dot com crash to what seemed to be a location with good climate and employment opportunities, low cost of living and relatively little traffic. The area has (mostly) lived up to all billings. You couldn't pay me a million dollars to move back to Silicon Valley (though that's about what it would take from a housing parity perspective).

The area is really exploding right now with quite a bit of growth. Not sure if it is/not well planned/controlled. There are a dozen breweries within 10-15 miles of me, which is a ton of fun. In part, that's what's gotten me back into brewing after a long period off when kids and life in general got in the way.

People in the area are really friendly. And as mentioned above, there are people here from everywhere. It's a nice melting pot. I have not much experienced the hick/narrow-mindedness noted above.

The location generally is great - we're 2 hours from the beach, a bit more than that to the Appalachians and Blue Ridge Trail. I could go anywhere, but don't see myself leaving. Best of luck in your search!

I moved from the San Francisco Bay Area to Chapel Hill in 2002. Am currently in Apex (right next door to Cary, Raleigh & Chapel Hill), which was recently rated #1 place to live in the country by Money Magazine (http://time.com/money/3984379/apex-north-carolina-best-places-to-live-2015-2/). Of course, pick your periodical and near any place can be rated 'best'.

I'm in software and fled the dot com crash to what seemed to be a location with good climate and employment opportunities, low cost of living and relatively little traffic. The area has (mostly) lived up to all billings. You couldn't pay me a million dollars to move back to Silicon Valley (though that's about what it would take from a housing parity perspective).

The area is really exploding right now with quite a bit of growth. Not sure if it is/not well planned/controlled. There are a dozen breweries within 10-15 miles of me, which is a ton of fun. In part, that's what's gotten me back into brewing after a long period off when kids and life in general got in the way.

People in the area are really friendly. And as mentioned above, there are people here from everywhere. It's a nice melting pot. I have not much experienced the hick/narrow-mindedness noted above.

The location generally is great - we're 2 hours from the beach, a bit more than that to the Appalachians and Blue Ridge Trail. I could go anywhere, but don't see myself leaving. Best of luck in your search!

Also worth checking out is Wake forest (the town not the school) which is the new Cary so-to-speak. I remember when Apex was just a crossroads and I hear its getting a costco now!

This is the first time I've actually heard someone be complimentary of the beer distribution system of PA. All other states do sell cases of beer, PA is the only state that wont sell anything else! Nothing worse than having a case of PA microbrew, drink one, realize its a sh*t beer and having to gut through the rest of it. End Rant. I'm sure NC is a nice place to live...:tank:

PA finally has come out of the stone ages and 12 packs are legal, thank god!
Raleigh area wins awards for business and schooling ( I realize you're done with that).

I like how you think! :mug:

You got me thinking. If I was moving to NC and know what I know now, I would seriously consider Wilmington, NC on the coast. It's a big enough city. Has beach, ocean, a University (UNCW), A beer scene of some sort, great seafood restaurants, about 2 to 2.5 hrs from Raleigh area straight down I40, a Battleship, did I say beach and ocean, sailing, boating, Cape fear river, beach, ocean, and very mild winters. :)

Latest posts

Back