Want to make a Saison with red grape must, out of style?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RachmaelBenApplebaum

Reaction score
I'm guessing probably so, since the BJCP guidlines would probably put it in a specialty beer category. I want to make a saison with Barbera concentrate and oak it for a while before bottle conditioning for a long time for an upcoming club meeting, but they're big on style guidelines and would probably scoff at the idea, no matter how tasty it could potentially be. Anyone have experience adding red grape (vitis vinifera) must to beers? any advice, comments etc?

Sounds interesting, try it if they don't like it screw them. Guidelines are not rules and are for competition, brew what you like.

This was my thinking, but I never really know what to expect. I think I'll go with it, ferment it a little on the cooler side of saison yeast to push the phenols, oak in primary, maybe secondary, but definitely bottle condition for at least 6 months before drinking. Dunno how Alexanders extract cans taste but they can't be too horrible if people consistently buy them. I'm thinking one can of Barbera or getting two cans, one cabernet sauvignon and one merlot and combining the two, Bordeaux Saison anyone? :)

If you entered it into a comp, I think it would be a fruit beer with no oak, a specialty beer with oak.

I think saisons are best when flavored with fruit or herbs. My favorite is a sour apple saison.

It's a farmhouse beer. Of course you would flavor it with whatever you farmed.

Do it.

I recently had a DFH Noble Rot and while I would not care to drink more than 1 a session it was an interesting brew.

IMHO I would ferment your saison the way you want it and then secondary with the must. Yeast can get fussy when mixing sugars.

As for the club style enthusiasts, tell them it is a cat 23, saison base beer aged with grape must and oak.

Back