• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted Want to buy/Trade: IPB-16 PID Heater

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micaheli

Reaction score
I'm specifically looking for the older IPB-16, Not the IPB-16S. I will pay cash or potentially (if the 16 is in good shape or new) trade for a brand new IPB-16S of mine.

It seems like for brewing, the 16S is ideal, but for my purposes (aquarium) the 16 is better. Let's make a trade?

I have an original IPB-16. I bought it used within a couple weeks of buying a Brau EZ Boil. I've used the EZboil a few times and never needed the Inkbird. If my memory serves me correct, it did not have the pump switch installed. I can take some pics this evening if you wish.

@Oldskewl I don't need the pump switch, luckily. In fact, its best in its stock, unmodified form.

Background: I'm using this with a titanium aquarium heating element (with no circuitry, just a coil inside a titanium tube) on PID mode to be able to keep my reef tank temperature within .5 of a degree (or less at times). It's working great, but I like having redundancy, so I'm looking for another. The IPB-16S does NOT resume heating after a power failure. The IPB-16 does. That's the main and most notable difference.

Pics would be great. I can return the favor of the IPB-16S I have as well.

Never thought of using it for an aquarium. I just sold my reef tank last year. Had it for about 16 years. I was using a glass aquarium tank heater in the sump. Did have one break once though. I'll get you some pics tonight.

My mission here is to prove that there are better technologies that we can use for heaters. I don't see any improvement on aquarium heaters over the lats 20 years, which is sad. I think the SSR/PID controller is the next step. I've been running it for over a year now with zero issues, so I'd call that a proof of concept. :)

I run 2 BRS titanium elements in my Elos 120, both controlled via my Apex.. never had an issue.

I've got an original IPB-16 that I bought for a 120v ebiab build that I ended up changing plans to go to 240v setup. Plugged in all of once to see menu operation Would be happy to sell it if it would work for you. Can send pics if needed

I believe I also have one that I never used… I don’t have the temperature probe though. It sounds like you have already picked up a unit l but if not I would be happy to sell it to you.

Latest posts

Back