Wal-Mart supplies only Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cigars-n-brew

Reaction score
The day after finding this site/app I had a need to brew my first cider batch. Ive successfully done wine in the past but decided to try my hand at cider. My HBS was closed so I decided to head out and see if I could get everything I needed to get it done. I started out with basics for a test batch of one gallon. see below

2 half gallon bottles of premium cider
1 bag of white table sugar
1 bag of dark brown sugar
1 pack Red Star bakers yeast
1 pack raisins for nutrients
1 pack cinnamon sticks
1 bottle Hershey caramel syrup

I started prep and sanitation of one empty milk jug for my primary and dissolved 1 cup white sugar and 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup caramel syrup and added 2 large cinnamon sticks to 1 gallon apple juice.
I let simmer 30 min on med heat.
Transfer to primary and let cool to room temp (68deg) and pitched my re-hydrated Red Star yeast.
I used 3/4 packet into 1 cup warm water an let re-hydrate while I prep.
Add 15-20 raisins smashed between fingers into primary as a yeast nutrient and left to ferment in a cool dark place ( i chose my linen closet).
OG at 1.050
Seal with air lock.
I allowed 30 days fermentation checking bubble daily until activity slowed to one bubble every 20 seconds.
After primary fermentation was complete I racked into a secondary (sanitized) Carlos Rossi wine jug that I also got at Wal-Mart.
I allowed to settle (clear) 3 days and transferred into bottling bucket.
Back sweeten with one can of frozen apple juice concentrate and bottle.
full carb in three days with no problem at room temp.
hydrometer broke before Fg test but I estimate final at apx 5-6% ABV.
batch started 11 feb 13 and bottled 20 feb 13 so not a bad turn around! ( 9 Days )
tasting notes are mostly apple juice with a hint of cinnamon. caramel flavors are almost completely void but still a very drinkable batch!! very easy to do with a good outcome!!
Happy Bottling
Cheers!
Cigars-n-Brew!!!!!!!!!

I can't help but scan the aisles looking for homebrew crap to augment my totally redneck brewing setup whenever I'm in Wally world. Here's a couple pics of my latest greatest all-Walmart fermentor. Good job on the totally Wally-scoped brew. How long did the yeast take to light off fermentation?

IMAG0528_zps67b0d82d.jpg

IMAG0525_zps4e9adeba.jpg

McNorseman said:
I can't help but scan the aisles looking for homebrew crap to augment my totally redneck brewing setup whenever I'm in Wally world. Here's a couple pics of my latest greatest all-Walmart fermentor. Good job on the totally Wally-scoped brew. How long did the yeast take to light off fermentation?

nice BB.. i too started out mostly with redneck engineering equipment and have slowly built up my gear list. I noticed air lock activity within 8 hours or so of pitching the red star

I've been brewing for about four years now. After I dropped a glass carboy I went back to plastic. Using Walmart buckets gives me the excuse to run a bunch of cheap brews in buckets that I dont flinch at throwing away if I suspect are infected. Plus I'm kind of redneck at heart.

I've never gotten more than between two and three inches of krauzen with Notty in cider.

Also that's fantastic that it lit off that quick. I've never used Red Star so I'll be watching to see how you like it.

Thumbs up on the ' all wally world' brew. I shudder a bit at the bread yeast, but hey, it works!

One of the beautys of homebrewing is inovation!

I just cruised the Wally World isles yesterday, always good for brewing paraphernalia . I did have a great find for all to enjoy Cosco apple juice 2 gal. For under 9 bucks.
Pure apple juice no pres. No vit. C just pasteurized. Pure honey was the cheapest I've seen anywhere. Next great news just read the local Half Moon Bay paper and there's a brew club starting 3 blocks from my house. (Cool and in bicycle range) Brewon!

Back