Waimea IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scallopking

Reaction score
Has anyone used Waimea throughout for an IPA? First off I wanted a pine citrus and this seemed to fit the bill from the description, but not sure if I should go with something else. Secondly, it's a high alpha so also using it for bittering as it's supposed to be smooth, I think. I'm also going to dry hop about 5oz of it for my 6g batch, supposed it have good aroma oils for it? I made a nice recipe I think which I'll post up. I was also wondering if anyone paired something nicely with this? Any experience with this in an IPA is much appreciated. Thanks.

I know that we use them in an IPA at the brewery and its paired with El Dorado and Cascade but I dont know too much of the specifics when it comes to the recipe unfortunately. However I do know the beer is delicious

I made a Waimea SMASH and did not really like it. In my opinion, Waimea needs to be combined with other hops like Rakau and Motueka. I make a NZ IPA using Pacific Gem for bittering and then 1/3 each Waimea, Rakau and Motueka at various stages for flavor and aroma. Everyone loves it, but it's not piney, it's more tropical fruity like pineapple, star fruit, passion fruity.

I know that we use them in an IPA at the brewery and its paired with El Dorado and Cascade but I dont know too much of the specifics when it comes to the recipe unfortunately. However I do know the beer is delicious

Right on! :mug:

I made a Waimea SMASH and did not really like it. In my opinion, Waimea needs to be combined with other hops like Rakau and Motueka. I make a NZ IPA using Pacific Gem for bittering and then 1/3 each Waimea, Rakau and Motueka at various stages for flavor and aroma. Everyone loves it, but it's not piney, it's more tropical fruity like pineapple, star fruit, passion fruity.

thanks for the input! I opted to not go for it today and come up with a better recipe to use this - probably a NZ hop IPA. cheers!:mug:

Back