Visiting Lexington, VA...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSorenson

Reaction score
So I'm at Washington and Lee for the Law School graduation. My brother just got his JD and we're celebrating this weekend. I even brought the homebrew I had made for the occasion which turned out well.

We're at this place called "The Palms" in downtown Lexington; supposedly under new management and improved. We decided to go there last night to continue the celebrations.

I order a Devil's Backbone Vienna Lager. Pretty good! Toasty, grainy, semi-dry finish... just what you might expect. Then I see this craft brew from a place called Three Brothers. It's a porter and I have been lacking in my dark beer consumption lately, so I excitedly order one.

The waitress brings me a pint of a pale beer. I'm shocked and ask if it's the porter. She assures me it is. I am polite and decide that I'll make it a game and try to figure out what she gave me. It's a simple pale ale with a subtle hop flavor and light on the IBUs.

I order another one, just trying to see if maybe they screwed up the results, as did a friend of mine. Same thing! I couldn't figure it out.

So HBT... ever have this kind of problem? Have any ideas?

Methinks some server may be confused as to what a porter is. I have once received an angry orchard instead of a Butt Light at a bar. Though in the bartenders favor they at least they look somewhat similar in the glass.

DB & 3 Brothers both have some tasty beers

a lot of great breweries here in VA.

there's 2 huge ones you might want to avoid ;). other than those, some good beers here in the Commonwealth

Methinks some server may be confused as to what a porter is. I have once received an angry orchard instead of a Butt Light at a bar. Though in the bartenders favor they at least they look somewhat similar in the glass.
I just couldn't believe it. Granted, she didn't seem to care about craft beer. I just don't know how you can't at least identify a beer by color!

DB & 3 Brothers both have some tasty beers

a lot of great breweries here in VA.

there's 2 huge ones you might want to avoid ;). other than those, some good beers here in the Commonwealth

We actually went to DB yesterday! Really impressed by the Schwartz Bier, the Stripped Bass Pale, the 8 point and the azriel. Haven't had a disagreeable beer from them yet! I brought a mixed twelve pack back to CT with me. I will miss their beers!

I only wish I had the time while I was in VA. Beautiful part of the country and nice people.

It helps that the beer is good, too. ;)

I can't believe all of the great beer in VA. I guess that's what you get with a larger state. Poor little CT has a handful of half way decent ones, a few great ones, then a mess that I couldn't care less about- mostly contracted brews.

Latest posts

Back