Viking 2-row Xtra Pale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSing

Reaction score
I've run a few batches with Viking Pale malt and as others have reported, it is much darker than a "standard" 2-row from Briess, GW, Rahr, etc.. Other than the difference in color, I've enjoyed those batches and hit all of my numbers, but has anyone tried the Viking 2-Row Xtra Pale, which has a lovibond closer to the other 2-row's mentioned above?

If this topic was already covered in another thread, please post link. I did a quick search and did not see much on a side-by-side comparison by those that actually used the newer Xtra Pale malt in recipes they're familiar with.

~HopSing.

I just kegged a NEIPA that had the Xtra pale and malted oats, and it is EXACTLY what i was looking for in terms of SRM. I'll be buying that from now on. I'll post a pic after work.

Last edited:
I just kegged a NEIPA that had the Xtra pale and malted oats, and it is EXACTLY what i was looking for in terms of SRM. I'll be buying that from now on. I'll post a pic after work.

Did you hit your efficiency, OG, and FG targets similar to other batches with other 2-Row? Please let me know if you have any tasting notes once that keg starts to flow. Thanks JJW5015!

~HopSing.

Did you hit your efficiency, OG, and FG targets similar to other batches with other 2-Row? Please let me know if you have any tasting notes once that keg starts to flow. Thanks JJW5015!

~HopSing.

Actually overshot my OG by 10 points, but I was also scaling down my recipe to be able to ferment in a corny so that may have had something to do with it. Regardless, I've never had any conversion issues with any of the Viking Malts I've used.

IMG_1111.JPG

78% xtra pale 22% malted oats

Thanks for the picture and info. Color looks spot on to what I'd expect 2 row to look like. MoreBeer sells unmilled 10 pound sacks for $8.69 and those qualify for their free shipping deal over $59. So that's $43 for 50 pounds delivered, although to get free shipping you'd need to order 7 of them or other stuff that also qualifies for free shipping over $59. Seems like a really good deal if the product is good. Their Pale Malt did well for me, so the Xtra Pale is worth a shot.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/viking-2row-xtra-pale-malt.html

Thanks.

HopSing.

I used it in a recent batch for a Blonde Ale, and I'm very impressed. The basic recipe is 10 lbs 2-row, 0.5 lb 20L, and some Willamette at 60 minutes.

The first time I made a 5.5 gallon batch, I used Briess 2-row, Briess 20L, and 1 oz out Willamette. I had a family get-together and people thought it was terrific.

The second time was a 4.5 gallon batch because I started to ferment in a serving keg. I scaled down the recipe 10% and used 9 lbs of regular Viking Pale Ale Malt, 0.45 lb Briess 20L, and 0.75 oz of Willamette. There was a strong taste of something that I couldn't quite place. It wouldn't have been bad in moderation, but it was a little too strong. I assumed it was the Willamette hops. Even though I used less, I figured maybe fermenting in the keg brought out the flavor more and it was just too much. In retrospect, I'm thinking it may have been the malt.

My recent batch was 9 lb Viking Xtra Pale, 0.45 lb 15L, and 0.8 oz Willamette. I tapped it yesterday and it's fantastic - better than the first batch, and significantly better than the second. Very subtle, pleasant hop flavor. The malt goes with it well, and the color is great. If it was 90 degrees out, I could chug 6 pints of this. I'll definitely buy a few more 10lb bags next time I place an order with Morebeer.

My recent batch was 9 lb Viking Xtra Pale, 0.45 lb 15L, and 0.8 oz Willamette. I tapped it yesterday and it's fantastic - better than the first batch, and significantly better than the second. Very subtle, pleasant hop flavor. The malt goes with it well, and the color is great. If it was 90 degrees out, I could chug 6 pints of this. I'll definitely buy a few more 10lb bags next time I place an order with Morebeer.

Thanks! I picked up a bunch of the Viking Xtra Pale during a recent MoreBeer sale. I plan on brewing a familiar batch in the next week or two and will post results.

~HopSing.

Back