'Vigorous' Fermentation done after 2 days???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srmcnaughton

Reaction score
So,
First brew, using a brew house wheat ale kit. coopers dry yeast.
mixed everything sunday night. fermented nicely, foamed and dropped on day 2. instructions say this should happen between 3 and 5 days. When it happens i am instructed to rack into carboy for secondary.
Two days seems a little early for me? no?
and if so could i leave racking for another day or do it now?

Thank you Everyone!!!:confused:

It depends on the temperature. If it was warm (T>70 F) then it probably is time. If it were cool, (<65 F) I would probably give it another day.

If the temperature of the wort was warm the active part of fermentation is probably done.

I would ignore the recipe and take a hydrometer reading after 7 to 10 days then 2 days later take another one. If they are the same, then it is OK to transfer to secondary. The only way you can tell how fermentation is going by taking gravity readings.

Your other choice is to leave the beer in primary for 3-4 weeks then bottle. For average beers with no additions there is really no reason that you need to do a secondary.

Only problem(if fermentation is done) is that transferring increases the risk of contamination. I know being a new brewer you just want to keep doing stuff to your beer, often time though patience is what leads to the best results. As has already been stated, if you didn't have any additions (dry hop, fruit...) leave it in the primary.

And next time throw away that Cooper's yeast and try pitching Danstar Nottingham! I find it really improves Brew House kits of any flavor.

You know what, I read that all over the Internet!!!!
But when it cam time to buy the kit from my local (Calgary) brew store they said there was no need!
I knew I should have trusted the interweb!!,
Btw, I'm racking to secondary, mostly because I wanna see my brew!

srmcnaughton said:
But when it cam time to buy the kit from my local (Calgary) brew store they said there was no need!

You should wait longer before doing so. Visible signs of fermentation are only part of it.

Just transferred to secondary.
With a beginning OG of 1.046 it's now at 1.010
Rack to secondary and I'll see what happens!!
thanks

srmcnaughton said:
Just transferred to secondary.
With a beginning OG of 1.046 it's now at 1.010
Rack to secondary and I'll see what happens!!
thanks

With a fg like that, i think you'll be fine. Hope its great, cheers.

Speaking from what I've read (on the interweb) more than experience (I've never moved my beer that early), you probably shouldn't have done that. While the yeast may have been done fermenting it uses that time afterwards to "clean up" after itself. By taking the beer off the main yeast cake (you brought some, but not all of it) you left less yeast for the clean up. I'm sure it will be fine ... its just that it could have been better. Hardest thing about brewing beer is the patience.

A nice rule of thumb that will handle most types of brews is 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary, 3 in the bottle. If you don't want to secondary just make it four in the primary. Never had a problem transfering to a secondary with oxidation. Just do it like your filling a bottling bucket. The extra time does nothing but help your brew.

Many seem to use 3 wks in primary, 3 in bottles/keg for the typical. Use a secondary if you rack onto fruit, or dry hop, or have another reason to rack such as extended aging.

For your next brew session, buy a second fermenter. When you finish brewing one and it has dropped the krausen, instead of racking off to secondary, brew another batch so the beer spends more time in the primary fermenter. Buy or collect some Corona bottles to bottle in so you can see your beer. Keep them in the dark except when you are peeking at the beer.

Surprised they didn't want to sell you a packet of yeast. Strictly true because the Cooper's will do the job. I find the flavor comes out "industrial"--that's the only way I can describe it. Nottingham comes out dry and crisp. Windsor comes out slightly fruity. Both can ferment out in 72 hours and flocculate well.

Don't forget to keep your secondary away from the light. I put a brown paper grocery bag over mine.

My post was liked. I need to update: I said you could leave in primary 3-4 weeks back then. I would now say about 2 weeks. But I usually procrastinate and my primaries still end up being 3-4 (or more) weeks.

Latest posts

Back