Victory blackberry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KD28

Reaction score
I got a recipie for Victory Blackberry from one of my books and tried a gallon of it.
WOWWW. IT IS GOOD. VERY GOOD. Granted, I only bottled it a few nights ago and a few months might change it.

It seems like I dont see many blackberry wine being made though.
Is there a reason for that or am I just not seeing them?

Black berry is one of the best non-grape wines out there and IMO better than many grape wines. I think blueberry is right up there with blackberry and makes another good wine. But blackberries are harder to get I think. I rarely find strait fresh blackberries in my supermarket.

Out here in FEMA region X, blackberries are everywhere. They're invasive. Needless to say, I make some nice blackberry wine and blackberry jam. I too prefer blackberry wine over a lot of grape (or any other) wines.

I make blackberry wine in years when blackberries are abundant. We have quite a few around here, but they aren't as easy to pick as something like, say, strawberries.

I oaked a 3 gallon batch of blackberry wine this winter, and will be bottling it soon.

I just always use the same recipe I always do for a dry blackberry wine (recipe posted under my avatar under 'recipes'). I don't drink sweet wines so I like a dry dinner wine most of the time, even with fruit wines.

Yooper I saw your blackberry wine you made to about 12% ABV first with K1V1116 yeast then again with 71B. My inclination would be to use the 71B. Based on your batches, do you have a preference in yeast here?

Taurii, I think the recipe the OP is speaking of is from Terry Garey's book. The 'Victory Blackberry' was the recipe name she used.

Thats right.
Victory Blackberry page 89.
The Joy of Home Winemaking by Terry Garey.
I can type it if needed, but I type so slow it would take me most of the weekend.:eek:

Thats right.
Victory Blackberry page 89.
The Joy of Home Winemaking by Terry Garey.
I can type it if needed, but I type so slow it would take me most of the weekend.:eek:

I have that book! Thanks so much!

I would be interested in the recipe too. I screwed up a batch last year using a bad recipe

Yooper I saw your blackberry wine you made to about 12% ABV first with K1V1116 yeast then again with 71B. My inclination would be to use the 71B. Based on your batches, do you have a preference in yeast here?

No, not really. This years batch used the 71B, and it is so wonderful that I almost want to drink it right out of the carboy- but I've never had it turn out bad with any yeast strain, or even less than great.

In this years batch, I used 2 ounces of medium French oak for 3 gallons, and kept it there only 9 days. It's perfect!

Edit- oh, and the 2013 blackberries were naturally very sweet! I used only 5 pounds of sugar total, and 12 pounds of blackberries, for the 3 gallon batch. The OG was a bit low at 1.080, but it turned out so good that being a tad under 12% is ok with me!

I do not get along with compooters.
It would take me longer to figure out how post a picture than to type it.
If I have time tonight I will type out the recipie.
I have to go to work here shortly.

Latest posts

Back