very quick smack pack question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goplayoutside

Reaction score
Hey Gang-

I have never used the wyeast smack packs before. I got an "activator" of 3068 for my PM hefe tomorrow morning. It says to break the thing 3-5 hrs ahead of brew time... that's 4 in the morning.

I want to break it tonight before I hit the hay. That won't be bad, will it?

woo-hoo!

Don't get me wrong, I love beer but I don't wanna set an alarm at 4 am to get up and start the yeast.

It'll be fine.

BTW: I usually don't break it until I start the brewing process, but it takes me five hours (at least) from crush to pitch, so I have plenty of time.

Earlier today I ordered supplies to make yeast starters, so I won't have it so easy going forward. I've been making bigger Belgian's lately and I'm worried I'm not getting a big enough pitch.

I all most allways smack the pack, cut it open and dump it in a starter. I've never had a problem. I get rocket yeast. I recomend a stir plate

Well, I went ahead and smacked it the night before. Blew up like a balloon by pitching time. Signs of fermentation 3 hrs after pitching though not really kicking along yet. I'm happy. Thanks, folks.

(and it didn't exlode overnight).

Back