Ventilation - Negative Pressure and Cold weather

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kahlid74

Reaction score
So I live in Wisconsin and it's a bit chilly during winter here, so if I vent out my steam I'm concerned with the cold air coming back in if I create a return vent, which I pretty much have to because of negative pressure right?

Thoughts? Has anyone else done this? Have other people used systems like an HRV to try to recycle the heat in the air?

I to live in Wisconsin and am building a basement brewery, electric. I'm on the ventilation phase of the project and considering similar options. Subscribed.

When you push air out, the air will be replaced by air coming in because of the negative pressure created. A possible place for air to come in is an exhaust stack for an appliance such as a gas water heater. This can also draw inside the combustion gases when the appliance is operating.

I don't have any experience with heat recovery systems, so can't help with that.

Use a return vent and route it right near or your setup. Maybe that way it will catch some of the heat from your brew session. I'd rather have it there than getting sucked in through every little window and door gap throughout the house.

Back