Various Serving Pressures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LowNotes

Reaction score
So this is sort of a multi-point question, and I couldn't find it clearly answered after searching the forums.

First, what would be the ideal carbonation levels for different brews, specifically I am wondering about the difference from an IPA, a Belgian Sour, and Apfelwein. From my basic understanding of sours, you need to use higher grade bottles due to higher carb levels, but in a keg I am guessing this would be dealt with via adjustments to the carb pressure. With the Apfelwein, I am just curious if it should have a different carb level since it is a very different beverage than beer. Typically I see 12 psi as the recommended level for most beers, which I would assume would cover the IPA, but are there any general exceptions?

Part two of the question, is how to go about serving a higher carved beer from a keg. I saw some references to carbing higher, say 18 psi, but lowering the serving pressure to something like 8 to reduce foamy pours. Could this also be mitigated by using longer lines? Say if I typically serve off of 5' lines at 12psi, could I serve 18 psi off of 10' lines instead?

I just ordered my first legging system and decided to buy the dual regulator setup so I could have two different pressures on the kegs, and am wondering if it will be useful for more than just having a serving pressure and a force carb pressure. Needless to say I am stoked at the prospect of legging my first beers in a couple weeks! :rockin:

Back