Vapor locked hop tea to extract more hop aroma?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdaddybrew

Reaction score
I had an idea for extracting more hop flavor and aroma for my hop forward beers. Boil 8oz of water in a mason jar. Wait until it cools to 150f, add 1oz of my favorite hop pellets and immediately seal the lid, wait 24 hours to allow the trapped aromas to condense and then add it to my IPA. I haven't tried it yet, just an idea. Not sure why I chose 150f but I've had good luck adding hops to the whirlpool at this temp but I must lose some aromas to evaporation.
Maybe a more ideal temp?
What can I expect?
Any thoughts?

No idea what you can expect, since it's your idea! Hop teas are an option that many brewers employ, but I've never heard of one quite like yours. I think it could come out pretty well. Don't know *how* different it would be from a basic hop tea, but I definitely would like to hear your results!

I used to be crazy about hop teas...adding them sometimes twice during an IPA schedule. I'll be doing one next week to put in my bottling bucket. Thought I used the last of the hop I had but found an extra ounce in the freezer so why not. I'm not saying my system is perfect but here is how I do it:

1. Make your tea at least an hour before your adding it (secondary, bottling bucket, keg, etc)

2. I use this, I got it off amazon and their are varying sizes:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015VTR48/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

This one is great...its not even a cup of water and after the hops suck up some, you really add a minimal amount of super hoppy water. Most would use a larger size though.

3. Boil a quart of water down to what you need. Let it cool to 180, add to french press. I put the plunger down only a little bit, let the hops float around and agitate.

4. Let it naturally cool over an hour or so while you prepare whatever else your doing.

5. Plunge those hops into a pulp and add water.

I only recommend a french press as they come with a natural screen that will keep the hop debris out. My temps are not based on extensive experimenting, just something I did from the start and stick with. Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
Bottle Hop!

I have used a technique for years....and also on the last APA that I bottled last week...where hops are added to the DME priming sugar after boiling the extract for 10 minutes, and hopped at flame off. Let the wort steep for 10 minutes with a lid on and pour into the bottle bucket (through a sanitized strainer).

Walla! Instant fresh hop aroma and flavor!

Last batch was a 1.056 OG beer and I used Simcoe, which is high in hop oils.

I found this hop oil chart and try to obtain the ones at the bottom for the best aroma and flavor...

http://www.thegreatmaibockaddict.com/hop-oil-chart.shtml

I should add that I recommend trying this in place of dry hopping for those who do not want to wait...it works great!

So I boiled nearly a pint of water in a canning jar. Cooled to 150f and added 1oz of Citra hops and sealed the lid. Let it cool and then added it to my Summer Citra Cerveza in the primary after active fermentation. Waited 7 days and kegged. It gave a nice boost to the aroma. Better than just dry hopping? I think it was a stronger boost than I had been getting from an equivilant dry hop. Perhaps it released more aroma and captured it? I think I will do this again. I may experiment with a higher temp, 160 or 170f. Reinvented the wheel? Not really but maybe a side by side experiment for my next batch.

Latest posts

Back