vanilla ideas?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Soooo im making a mead that definitely needs to age for a long time. Im going to hace some organic Madagascar bourbon vanilla beans left over. I want to make another mead that wont take that long so i can enjoy while my major project ages. Seeing that i have the beans is there any recipes???? Have 5 gallon fermo buckets and 6 gallon carboys. Looking for a great 5gallon batch. Anything helps :) thinking maybe some masala chai tea bags?????

What is your definition of a mead that doesn't take long? Unless you're going to do a BOMM or something, any mead that isn't specifically made for the impatient is going to take some time.

That being said, I made a vanilla mead (from the recipe index), and it was wonderful at a year.

I have a mead im planning to make that needs to age for over a year like probably around 2 it will be drinkable and flavors mix. So with that said im looking to find a nice vanilla recipe or vanilla with anything recipe that will take a year tops to age or be drinkable even sooner. Something i can enjoy while my maim mead is aging. Would a masala tea with vanilla beans and cinnamon work? If so what will be a good amount of everything so they all blend perfect for a 5gallon batch??? Anything helps.

Here you go:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/vanilla-mead-31698/

I replaced the fireweed honey with local wildflower honey. I also used two extra bags of Earl Grey. After exactly one year, it was very good.

15335109067_f698a07610_c.jpg

I did a vanilla hazelnut that is great. I did make an extract of vanilla from the beans and used that, same with the hazelnuts. And that took like 2 months to make the extract.

I did 1/4 cup of my vanilla extract (6 beans to a cup)
and made an extract of my hazelnuts (used 2 pounds). and used all of that.

Easy to make an extract and the best part is you can get your primary done while you are making an extract.

For the Hazelnut extract: I roasted them for 10 min at 350 deg on the oven, then took off the red papery casing and put the nuts into a coffee grinder for a rough grind. Then into a jar, half full and put vodka or cheap white rum in it to just about 1/2 inch above the ground nuts. Shake it once a day for the first week and then once a week. At the 2 month mark run through a strainer and then run it through the strainer again putting a paper towel or coffee filter in first. This becomes important as you can then squeeze it out to get all the liquid out. It is fairly oily feeling. Then run it again through a coffee filter one last time. Boom you have hazelnut extract. It took to large jars to make 2 pounds worth. I just did it at once.

The result is some good stuff.

Vanilla extract is easy too, split and scrape the insides into your jar, cut up the pods into 1 inch sections and in it goes to. 6 beans to 1 cup of alcohol. Then same as above. It is not as oily though.

I recommend you oak it, then age it a year, but drinkable in 6 months or so, better if you wait.

Matrix

Im not a fan of hazel nut but i know alot of people who are and this def will come in handy lol thank you

Roughly the same process to make vanilla extract will make mint extract. Though it is not as potent as commercial mint. Vanilla Mint, maybe a touch of ginger, could be very good.

I have found that everything that I have made with mint has been a favorite of the people that drink my mead

Back