Vanilla barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvanMyl

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I'd appreciate some feedback for my first go at barleywine. I'll throw in some vanilla to make it a bit more interesting.

5gl
Marris Otter 71% (6kg)
Munich 24% (2kg)
Flaked oats 6% (0.5kg)
Chinook for bittering 50gr- added at -60min
Saaz for aroma 50gr- added at -5min
1 vial WLP099 Super High Gravity Ale, 1 vial WLP002 English ale, 1 vial WLP070 Bourbon.
3 vanilla beans scraped and chopped added to secondary, removed at bottling.
5gr dextrose per liter for priming

Calculations point at ABV 11.4% (OG:1115, BG:1072), 89 IBU, 24 EBC (deep amber/coppery).

I'm aiming at mashing at 65 Celsius for 60min for maximum fermentable sugar extraction with recirculation every few minutes, with no sparging to prevent dilution, then boiling for another 60min.

Any suggestions?

I would probably drop the oats, and add in a small amount (~5%) of light crystal (10°L). You should have plenty of body/mouthfeel without them.

last barleywine I did was MO with ~1% pale chocolate and ~2% british crystal 55°L

Turned out fantastic!

I'd be careful with the vanilla...it's easy to overdo it. I would suggest not splitting and scraping, or make sure to check on them quickly/often if you do split. I've been able to get good vanilla flavor by adding whole unsplit beans (2 for 5 gallons) into secondary for 2-3 weeks (don't remember exactly).

I would probably drop the oats, and add in a small amount (~5%) of light crystal (10°L). You should have plenty of body/mouthfeel without them.

last barleywine I did was MO with ~1% pale chocolate and ~2% british crystal 55°L

Turned out fantastic!

I'd be careful with the vanilla...it's easy to overdo it. I would suggest not splitting and scraping, or make sure to check on them quickly/often if you do split. I've been able to get good vanilla flavor by adding whole unsplit beans (2 for 5 gallons) into secondary for 2-3 weeks (don't remember exactly).
Thanks. What do you think about the yeasts?

Thanks. What do you think about the yeasts?

are you planning on pitching all 3 of those? planning to pitch at the same time, or pitch the super high gravity yeast later if it stalls?

I used WY1084 that I washed from an Irish Red I had brewed.

Whatever you do, aerate really well before pitching.

I'm planning on pitching all 3 at the same time. I've seen people advocating both approaches though, i.e. pitching them all together and sequentially with the high gravity yeasts going in after primary is done.

I can't see any reason to prefer one over the other, so any advise would be appreciated.

are you planning on pitching all 3 of those? planning to pitch at the same time, or pitch the super high gravity yeast later if it stalls?

I used WY1084 that I washed from an Irish Red I had brewed.

Whatever you do, aerate really well before pitching.

With good aeration(hit it big at pitching time, then again 12 hours later) some additional nutrients and temp control you shouldnt need the high gravity yeasts at all here. 002 should do this just fine on its own. If for some reason it stalls or you're afraid that its going too when after high krausen, have some 099 ready to go.

Make a big starter of it, crash it then decant it, and if you need to use it use the slurry and a little bit of starter wort to get it active again then pitch it.

at ~12% abv though it should be unneeded, if you treat it right 002/1968 is capable of going into the 13's, more if you feed it sugars mid ferment.

To be honest, hitting a high ABV is not my main concern. The Ale and Bourbon yeasts are what I'm relying on for the flavor profile. The High Gravity yeast is there "just in case", as I'm a big beer noob, although I'm worried its ester profile might push the final product beyond what's acceptable for the style. After your feedback, I'm convinced I don't need it and will probably stick to the other two,

With good aeration(hit it big at pitching time, then again 12 hours later) some additional nutrients and temp control you shouldnt need the high gravity yeasts at all here. 002 should do this just fine on its own. If for some reason it stalls or you're afraid that its going too when after high krausen, have some 099 ready to go.

Make a big starter of it, crash it then decant it, and if you need to use it use the slurry and a little bit of starter wort to get it active again then pitch it.

at ~12% abv though it should be unneeded, if you treat it right 002/1968 is capable of going into the 13's, more if you feed it sugars mid ferment.

Let me give it another go;

5gl
Marris Otter 88% (7.5kg)
Cara Bohemian 12% (1kg)
Chinook for bittering 50gr- added at -60min
Saaz for aroma 50gr- added at -5min
1 vial WLP005 British Ale, 1 vial WLP070 Bourbon 3 days in.
2 vanilla beans split and added to secondary, removed at bottling.
5gr dextrose per liter for priming

I'm trying to promote malty and caramel flavors with the choice of grains and yeasts, with low esters and balanced fruity notes that will complement the vanilla.

I wish I could use pale chocolate, but I can't find it in my country. If anyone can recommend a substitute, I'll consider adding it. Cara Bohemian is malty with caramel tones, so I think it will fit in nicely with the MO.

Latest posts

Back