Vacuum transfer through filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepinjeepin

Reaction score
I need to filter a beer and I only have one empty keg. I'm thinking about putting the beer in a bottling bucket, running it through a cardboard plate filter, and to a keg while pulling vacuum on the keg. My concerns are foaming and imploding the corny keg. Go.

No vacuum problems, I'd bet cash dollars. A true vacuum would be -14.7 PSI, though you probably won't get even half that unless you've got some hardcore equipment.

As far as foam goes, I don't see why you'd get any more than you do usually. This isn't carbonated beer, is it?

I have a Venturi style vacuum that with a good air supply will pull around 28" Hg of vacuum. I've not vacuumed beer before. I know wine is transferred with vacuum but it is degassed. My uncarbonated beer still has dissolved CO2 from fermentation though.

I have a Venturi style vacuum that with a good air supply will pull around 28" Hg of vacuum. I've not vacuumed beer before. I know wine is transferred with vacuum but it is degassed. My uncarbonated beer still has dissolved CO2 from fermentation though.

Good point. Yeah, I imagine you'll be pulling that out of solution. Still, when I've had foam problems transferring carb'd beer, the solution was just to go really, really slowly. This might take so long that you never want to do it again, but I think you'll be able to get it to work. I'm curious, though. Obviously anyone's actual experience in this trumps my guesses.

I'm confident about the implosion stuff in any case. I've used vacuums of roughly equivalent power to purge kegs, and I have never seen anything even indicating stress on the vessel.

I might try it tonight. Another thought that just popped into my head is the output line from the filter. It's gonna collapse. I might have to bleed the vacuum to where its more of an augmented gravity transfer.

I might try it tonight. Another thought that just popped into my head is the output line from the filter. It's gonna collapse. I might have to bleed the vacuum to where its more of an augmented gravity transfer.

Yeah, I've used reinforced tubing anytime I've done it, but there might be a limit on how much of a vacuum you can pull. You probably won't need much in any case, and going through a plate filter you don't want it to rip through fast as it can. Let us know how it goes! :mug:

Sorry MalFet, it's not looking good for tonight. Filter takes 5/16" hose. I have 1/4" and 3/8". I don't think any amount of heating will make the 1/4" fit and the 3/8" just slides right on.

And I chickened out. No reinforced 5/16" hose to be found nearby. Unsure about the foaming issue. Last brew was a bust. I need this one to go well. Dumped and rinsed a keg of nasty IPA. Gonna pressure filter tomorrow.

Have you ever tried to pull a vacuum on a corny? The lid is designed to seal under positive pressure. I tried once and the lid will leak like crazy even with a small amount of vacuum. This was also one of my better kegs that sealed well even with no pressure. But with a little vacuum it would suck air right past the Lid o ring.

JRems said:
Have you ever tried to pull a vacuum on a corny? The lid is designed to seal under positive pressure. I tried once and the lid will leak like crazy even with a small amount of vacuum. This was also one of my better kegs that sealed well even with no pressure. But with a little vacuum it would suck air right past the Lid o ring.

I've filled mine with hot water and let them sit a couple hours.. I open the lid and mine pops in with force pulling air in wich to me is the presence of a great vacuum seal..

I've never had any problem. I've never tried a long term pressure test or anything, but certainly it held vacuum for the timeframes that I was working under. It's a good warning, though. Perhaps some hold and others don't. I also use fairly thick gaskets.

Another change of plans. Gravity filtration. Heh, I wanted to see if it would work. Looks good so far.

image-2852289906.jpg

Gravity won. Bucket empty. Inlet line empty. Filter was, well, wet. I don't know who much was left in there. Not much. Output lines had bubbles. I'd say it was a success. No leaks. No "wasted" CO2. Didn't have to monitor it like I would with pressure (or vacuum). I'm happy.

Latest posts

Back