Vacuum sealing hops and aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangemen5

Reaction score
I was browsing the forums about vacuum sealing hops and someone chimed in and said vacuum sealing sucks out the aroma of hops. I've never heard this before. He went on to say that flushing with nitrogen or co2 like in a mason jar would be better.

I usually split my hops up and vacuum seal them or just take what I need from the lb and reseal. My question is is it possible to suck out the aroma of hops? Can you do damage to them by resealing them multiple times over the course of using a lb up.

I have never heard of this. I have heard of plenty of people resealing the same bag of hops over and over with no issues. I would not worry about it

^Agreed. The only thing you could possibly be vacuuming out are aromatics that are already in the airspace of the bag of hops.(The awesome puff of aroma when you first open the bag.) Those weren't going to make it into the pot anyway.

Yeah, that's a crock. Plenty of aroma left in all the vac-sealed hops I have in the freezer when opened, even ones that have been in there almost a year smell about the same as when they went in.

Homebrewing is filled with all sorts of old wives tales.

^Agreed. The only thing you could possibly be vacuuming out are aromatics that are already in the airspace of the bag of hops.(The awesome puff of aroma when you first open the bag.) Those weren't going to make it into the pot anyway.

Unless you open the bag while its submerged in the boil! :drunk:

Latest posts

Back